Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few threads on failing fuel sensors already, but this is one on why it fails. Don't flame me.

Pic1: put the sensor in a gas can similar to how it is installed in our tanks. I filled the can half way. The fuel level in the tube matched what was in the can. This means the flow holes on the bottom of the tube work. They allow fuel in the tube to match the level of the tank. The float stayed at the bottom.

Pic2: fully assembled float had negative buoyancy.

Pic3: The right side piece has positive buoyancy and left side has negative.

I don't have a scale, but I could definitely tell the left side was heavier than the right side. The material of the float is almost a hard foam. When I pressed any part of the float with my finger nail, I could squeeze fuel from the pores of the material.

So the reason the fuel level sensor doesn't work is due to the fact the float eventually becomes too saturated with fuel and sinks. Mine failed at 1600 miles on a brand new bike. I know some people with the same model have had theirs last longer.

If someone has a "C" sensor that has failed, I would love to see if the float design has changed.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1427758863.129741.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1427758875.614107.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1427758889.266293.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Awesome exam on the sensor, thanks for posting!

My C version is flaky as you know from the other thread, but if it has to be replaced I think the dealer has to send the defective to Ducati per the warranty on the part. My bike's out of warranty but there is a 1 or 2 year warranty on the sensor.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. So they are giving a warranty on the part?

I would assume the same issue is happening with the C revision. I highly doubt Ducati would fundamentally change the design of the tube and float. I would bet the C revision just outputs a different Ohm range and this is why you have to have the firmware updated to change the scale/range.

·
Sophomore Member
2,779 Posts
Ducati won't give a warranty on the part. Mine was replaced under th bike warranty. The replacement failed out of bike warranty but ~3 mo after install. Ducati wouldn't cover it. Their 1 year warranty on parts apparently doesn't apply to electronics.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In case anybody was wondering. Here is a link to the POS manufacturer of the fuel level sensor.

Home

I've sent a couple of emails with pics of what I've found. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Ducati won't give a warranty on the part. Mine was replaced under th bike warranty. The replacement failed out of bike warranty but ~3 mo after install. Ducati wouldn't cover it. Their 1 year warranty on parts apparently doesn't apply to electronics.
Well, that's troubling. My 13 was at the dealer for service, swingarm gyro, etc. I brought it home (4 hours by trailer) and when I fired it up....fuel sensor error. The dealer is great and will take care of it, but I have to get it back to them which means another total of 16 hours (drop it off, then go get it another day)

My bike has been great and I love it, but if I keep it I'll need to put an extended warranty on it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that's troubling. My 13 was at the dealer for service, swingarm gyro, etc. I brought it home (4 hours by trailer) and when I fired it up....fuel sensor error. The dealer is great and will take care of it, but I have to get it back to them which means another total of 16 hours (drop it off, then go get it another day)

My bike has been great and I love it, but if I keep it I'll need to put an extended warranty on it.
I feel you on that one. That's what really chaps my ass about the whole thing. The amount of time and inconvenience to haul the bike to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I feel you on that one. That's what really chaps my ass about the whole thing. The amount of time and inconvenience to haul the bike to the dealer.
Fortunately for me my dealer is only 20 minutes away and I pass right by it on my way in to work. I'll just drop it off and take one of their demo models to work and pick it up on my way home... of course, riding their demo models is the reason I own a Multistrada now. :D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I called Ducat NA directly in California, and someone actually returned my call.

The CSE said this issue has been elevated to the Mother Ship in Italy, and they are currently working on a new revision.

I went into detail with my findings on the float. To his knowledge nobody has looked into the float being the problem. He asked me to send all the pics of what I found and a detailed description so he could have his manager look at it, and hopefully get it forwarded to Italy. I guess this is a start.

I'm still waiting to hear back from COBO.

·
Registered
871 Posts
So I called Ducat NA directly in California, and someone actually returned my call.

The CSE said this issue has been elevated to the Mother Ship in Italy, and they are currently working on a new revision.

I went into detail with my findings on the float. To his knowledge nobody has looked into the float being the problem. He asked me to send all the pics of what I found and a detailed description so he could have his manager look at it, and hopefully get it forwarded to Italy. I guess this is a start.

I'm still waiting to hear back from COBO.
So Ducati know this hasn't been resolved with the latest parts, aren't warrantying newly installed senders and we're supposed to believe new bikes aren't going to have the same issue?

Not making me want to spend another $20K with the brand.

If you read this forum, Ducati. You'd better get your shit together.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't have a scale, but I could definitely tell the left side was heavier than the right side. The material of the float is almost a hard foam. When I pressed any part of the float with my finger nail, I could squeeze fuel from the pores of the material.

So the reason the fuel level sensor doesn't work is due to the fact the float eventually becomes too saturated with fuel and sinks. Mine failed at 1600 miles on a brand new bike. I know some people with the same model have had theirs last longer.
Nice work!

I wonder if the float material is particular in its adsorption properties. It would be interesting to repeat your experiment & compare 100% gas: 10%gasahol and 90% ethanol (10% H2O).

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Isn't the way parts procurement works is the vehicle manufacturer sets a price point and says give us something that works in this application, performs to this spec, and keep it at or under this price. And the supplier has leeway with materials to keep the cost within limit in order to keep the contract. I'm just piecing this together from memory of a similar discussion on another forum. Long story short, it may not be Ducati's fault that the float is getting saturated and losing bouyancy, it may be supplier using material B instead of [the better] Material A, to keep the cost within the limit.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Isn't the way parts procurement works is the vehicle manufacturer sets a price point and says give us something that works in this application, performs to this spec, and keep it at or under this price. And the supplier has leeway with materials to keep the cost within limit in order to keep the contract. I'm just piecing this together from memory of a similar discussion on another forum. Long story short, it may not be Ducati's fault that the float is getting saturated and losing bouyancy, it may be supplier using material B instead of [the better] Material A, to keep the cost within the limit.
Oh I totally agree. This was intentional if not a joint effort between both companies. Whether it be COBO using sub par materials, or Ducati engineering planned obsolescence into parts of the motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
My 12' w/ about 6300 miles - Into the shop for a fuel sensor replacement / and at the same time, Tank Replacement from swelling. That was about 5 months ago - since then I didn't ride it much, Winter ... etc. It now has about 6500 miles.
Also, at the time I had front brake and clutch fluids changed / flushed - easy to do - Wheeler had just flushed the rear brake and it was good!
Yesterday, first ride of the season, on the way to work -stopped to top off the fuel. Luckily, there is a station that has Non-Ethanal 93 octane -3 miles from the casa - topped her off ( took 1.3 gallons ) and immediately started getting low fuel warnings - also - The front brakes were shite! Spongy - pull almost to the bar - pumping them helped but still ... less than confidence inspiring. ( the reservoir seemed overfilled -like it backed up ) of course i will bleed - tomorrow.
And on top of it - I start toggling through to get rid of the heat in the grips - a Key Icon shows up indicating I have low power in my "key fob."
I parked the bike @ work last night and this AM -fired her up for the return trip - dreading it actually. Well, the fuel gauge read 1/3 tank - but no Warning signs ... by the time I got home -25 miles, the fuel gauge read 3/4 tank. And astonishingly, the front brakes seemed to be a little better - Crazy !!! or perhaps I'm going Crazy !

This bike is great ! When it doesn't talk back - I love it - Tire shredding performance ! And I wouldn't care if the fuel gauge didn't work ( Cept for all the bullshit it creates within the system)

Luckily, I have a street legal -Hopped up SV650 to ride when shit gets -Stupid!

I am truly at a cross -roads( again ) with this platform - I have lived with enough system/ electrical failures to let this thing go. Problem is ... I don't see anything that appeals to me -to replace it with ... ( sorry for the rant )
Hope most have better luck than I !!!

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I know there are a few threads on failing fuel sensors already, but this is one on why it fails. Don't flame me.

Pic1: put the sensor in a gas can similar to how it is installed in our tanks. I filled the can half way. The fuel level in the tube matched what was in the can. This means the flow holes on the bottom of the tube work. They allow fuel in the tube to match the level of the tank. The float stayed at the bottom.

Pic2: fully assembled float had negative buoyancy.

Pic3: The right side piece has positive buoyancy and left side has negative.

If someone has a "C" sensor that has failed, I would love to see if the float design has changed.

View attachment 527226 View attachment 527234 View attachment 527242

Nice work ! Thank You

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
...I am truly at a cross -roads( again ) with this platform - I have lived with enough system/ electrical failures to let this thing go. Problem is ... I don't see anything that appeals to me -to replace it with ... ( sorry for the rant )
Hope most have better luck than I !!!
At this point I'm wondering why not a Monster 1200? Metal tank, Ohlins, no keyless, and I haven't read much about many of the other complaints that we've had here. I dunno. I've probably had as many issues as anyone. 2015 will be here soon?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't had as many problems with mine like most forum members, but I'll never buy another Ducati.

If I could sell it tomorrow I would. Back to Jap bikes for me.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
At this point I'm wondering why not a Monster 1200? Metal tank, Ohlins, no keyless, and I haven't read much about many of the other complaints that we've had here. I dunno. I've probably had as many issues as anyone. 2015 will be here soon?
Perhaps ... I've got a few decisions to make ! But- Good suggestion.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear that it truly has been a love/hate relationship with this bike for many of you.
That said, this is the most impressive machine I've ever ridden, but I haven't ridden many. I know the feeling when this bike works and provides an unparalleled experience, and hope not to experience the same issues you all have.

I hope you guys find a solution/bike that really works, the problem is the Multi is just soooo good when it works.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: My original float has been drying out for 3 days. Fully assembled, it now floats in a cup of fuel.

I'm on the way to pick up fuel proof dope to seal the float. I'll let you guys know after it has cured.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts