Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 996 developed a fuel leak recently. Surfing the internet I found that the plastic nut on the sender and bad o-rings on the quick disconnects are the main causes of leaks. So, I take the bike apart today and discover the leak is coming from the quick disconnects but not from their o-rings. It is leaking where the female part screws into the tank. There does not appear to be a seal on them. There was some sort of sealant on the threads. I am thinking about putting some sealant on the threads ans reinstalling them.

Has anyone else had a similar leak? If so, how did you repair it?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
If it's leaking from the fitting, not the O-ring but it's been good up to now I'd say the fitting is cracked.

Best replace them both with metal fittings.

·
Registered
729 Posts
They are simply 1/4" NPT fitting threaded into the tank bung. Two possibilities 1) they are cracked and will need replacment - go with the metal replacements. 2) they have become loose from connecting and disconnecting. You should be able to determine the latter simply by observing if its loose. If they are get some pipe dope that is used for sealing gas pipe fittings. Dont use teflon tape or water type pipe dope, it wont stay tight. Also dont over tighten they are only plastic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts