Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced what I am dealing with. I purchased a low mileage (3,500) 2000 748 last year and it has been pretty reliable over the past 12 months as I have done routine maintenance and the only repair has been the replacement of the clutch slave cylinder due to an oil leak. Now the dealer has found that there is a gas leak from the fuel sending unit or fuel level sensor, I can't remember which, and the part is on back order for three weeks now with no estimate in sight for when it will come in.

I have another bike so it isn't the end of the world, but I was just curious about the back order situation and what others may have experienced in this area or even with this repair itself and the likely cost to fix. Dealer says $200for the part, but he didnt estimate hours to fix.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
557 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced what I am dealing with. I purchased a low mileage (3,500) 2000 748 last year and it has been pretty reliable over the past 12 months as I have done routine maintenance and the only repair has been the replacement of the clutch slave cylinder due to an oil leak. Now the dealer has found that there is a gas leak from the fuel sending unit or fuel level sensor, I can't remember which, and the part is on back order for three weeks now with no estimate in sight for when it will come in.

I have another bike so it isn't the end of the world, but I was just curious about the back order situation and what others may have experienced in this area or even with this repair itself and the likely cost to fix. Dealer says $200for the part, but he didnt estimate hours to fix.

Thanks in advance
It should not be more then 2 hours of labor tops. to take everything off change out the part and put it all back together will take more then one hour. Although if you could be more specific about the problem, someone maybe able to give you a better esitmate.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's weird. They're saying the actual fuel pump/sending unit is leaking? Not just the O-ring seal? This is the first I've heard of this and I've got a 2001 748 w/21K on it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Somebody may be stroking you.

Two small o-rings = $1.00
One large o-ring = $3.00

I buy Viton o-rings at a store that sells only o-rings, not Ducati.

That should cover it, I've changed them in 1 hour on a 1998 748S, and a 2001 996....

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, I am familiar with the backorder situation. I had a 1997 748 with a leaking oring (the big one, I think) Had I known about the 4 weeks of waiting and the $300 (some other stuff was replaced) I would have ordered from that other source for non ducati.

If the Ducati Factory doesn't have it in stock or it's the 2 weeks in August that they shut down, you are going to wait.

·
Registered
724 Posts

Thanks in advance

If the sending unit is leaking it’s most likely the plastic nut has cracked where it presses against the sending unit to hold it in. Real thin material there. Super common problem from my understanding - unless it’s different from the 996.

Had the same thing happen. I made an aluminum nut to replace the plastic one. At the time I just bit the bullet (didn’t have much choice) and purchased the sending unit -- doesn’t even come with a new seal, had to use the old one.. Amazing!! Anyway, if there was a market for these I was going to make some with instructions on how to disassemble the connector, etc. One hell of a lot cheaper then a new sending unit, as long as the sender still works. Or all of you that still have a working sender with cracked plastic nut can send them to me... :D

Anyone interested -- PM me and we’ll go from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the advice forum...

I checked with the dealer again and suggested the replacement metal nut option and the o-ring option you guys all suggested. The mechanic was very familiar with those fixes and said he has a stock of metal nuts handy off of some units he has replaced for other customers in the past and if thats all it needed he would have just thrown one on. According to him the leak is coming from the unit itself, right where the wires protrude. So, the part will be on backorder until at least mid June.

I trust them but it still kinda sux

Thanks again

·
Registered
724 Posts
I tend to doubt that the leak is coming from the wires or unit itself because it is incased with epoxy about 2 inches plus worth, unless its cracked.. doubt that one also. My bet would be the nut is cracked and that is ALL that's needed. The think the fuel is trailing from the seal down the wires. Pretty hard to distinguish that one clearly while in place.

If he has a stock of nuts I’d say put one on and we’ll keep an eye on it… I see no reason you’d need to wait more then a hour for the job. If he is familiar with this problem and has really looked at how the part is made, I think his opinion would change.

Good luck man.:cool:

edit: added pictures to show how the nut cracks.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bingo! This is what I'm seeing on my 1999 900ss. Exact same crack. It was weeping slowly, but that turned into a torrent when I tried to examine it further.
Sender unit is fine and all the wiring is still good, just that tiny flange on the plastic nut that cracked.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looks like you've got two customers now, blur.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's a photo of the failure I have going on.
It is a shame one needs to buy a whole new sender unit in order to simply replace that nut.
The nut is 36mm (wrench size), and seems to be the same unit on other bikes of this vintage '98-'02. (?)

Attachments

·
Registered
724 Posts
Here's a photo of the failure I have going on.
It is a shame one needs to buy a whole new sender unit in order to simply replace that nut.
The nut is 36mm (wrench size), and seems to be the same unit on other bikes of this vintage '98-'02. (?)
That's what I thought also.. Same issue.

I'm in process of fabricating some but may be a couple of weeks since this time I'll be making more the 2 & work gets in the way. May not be interested by that time.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Have had this problem and got around it in 2 ways.
1. Used a small amount of gasket maker that can handle contact with fuel to seal the washer. The nut only has to hold it tight enough to seal. The tank is not pressurized.
2. Mixed up some epoxy that handles plastics well and glued the nut back together. It's stronger than the plastic nut alone. (evident since I've had 2 and both broke)

Sign me up for a metal nut from Yellow Blur regardless! I've always sided with solutions rather than fixes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have had this problem and got around it in 2 ways.
1. Used a small amount of gasket maker that can handle contact with fuel to seal the washer. The nut only has to hold it tight enough to seal. The tank is not pressurized.
2. Mixed up some epoxy that handles plastics well and glued the nut back together. It's stronger than the plastic nut alone. (evident since I've had 2 and both broke)

Sign me up for a metal nut from Yellow Blur regardless! I've always sided with solutions rather than fixes.
thats funny, I was just working on the exact same thing this afternoon. My nut is cracked in the exact same way! If you do make some more nuts Yellow Blur, lemme know. In the mean time, I've taken the same route - gasket maker on the nut to seal it for now.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I gotta tell you guys that I got my nut from Blur today.
What a beautiful piece of machining! Awesome flat black anodize color and the safety wire holes to boot!

This thing is a work of art. Too bad no one will see it under my tank but, I just wanted to give Blur kudos for being a super communicator the whole time through the project. Let's not forget that he isn't even making any profit on this project, just trying to help out some fellow Duc guys. I wish we had more people on the site with this type of ingenuity.

I highly recommend you guys that were thinking about getting one, do it!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I gotta tell you guys that I got my nut from Blur today.
What a beautiful piece of machining! Awesome flat black anodize color and the safety wire holes to boot!

This thing is a work of art. Too bad no one will see it under my tank but, I just wanted to give Blur kudos for being a super communicator the whole time through the project. Let's not forget that he isn't even making any profit on this project, just trying to help out some fellow Duc guys. I wish we had more people on the site with this type of ingenuity.

I highly recommend you guys that were thinking about getting one, do it!!
+1 - I received mine also today, and just finished installing it. Yellow Blur included instructions on how to get the connector off so you could install the nut. Very good instructions, the installation went flawlessly.

CHEERS yellow blur! Highly recommended!

·
Registered
724 Posts
VolvoWrench & voidopolis, Thank you for the positive feedback and you feel it's worthy of your Duc. :)

As long as the majority get sold, I’m covered. It’s all good. I’m glad I was in a position to help out.

Anyone else who needs one or thinks they might want to upgrade theirs, PM me. Have 35 left out of 40. Attached is a photo of what you’ll get w/PDF instructions. Made from 6061-T6 aluminum, class II anodize.

Thanks again :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Really pissed I could not get my hands on some of these before the weekend!! maybe they will take the ones on my bike back.....

Great guy great looking nut :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts