Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this overfill problem a couple of times when I've overfilled the tank. Fuel will start dripping from under the bodywork when I fill past the gas cap neck and the bike is leaned a little far over, usually from a gas station where the ground is not level. I also have an adjustable sidestand and my bike may lean a tad further than stock. It's only happened a couple times and I always assumed it was from overfilling it, but when I removed some bodywork for something else I noticed the gas stains and overfill tube. If it's something simple like overfilling the tank, shouldn't the excess come out from the tube and then straight onto the ground? Might I need new gaskets? The tube seems fine and it is clamped tight?

20.jpg

Screenshot_20170801-121557.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
There is always the chance your tank is warped at a gasket, possibly where pump or filler neck is. (PS I assume you know of the plastic ducati tank issue with ethanol fuel?)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is always the chance your tank is warped at a gasket, possibly where pump or filler neck is. (PS I assume you know of the plastic ducati tank issue with ethanol fuel?)
Ahh not really. I think I've somehow heard about it but hadn't even thought about that. I suppose it's time to read up about it now thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a tank overfill. Don't fill it all the way to the top or this will happen.
That was what I initially chalked it up to, but then shouldn't the fuel overflow drip out of the black tube straight to the ground. You can see the fuel leak stain on the plastic of the tank. That's what has me confused. Can it just be from the bike being leaned over to far?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Of course, you are correct. Overfill it in a place where you have plenty of ventilation and see where it is coming from. For maximum safety, you would disconnect the battery. It should be noted that there are more that on type of overfill. Overfilling into the gutter will go out one hose. Overfilling into the ventilation system will go out another hose. ...and knowing Ducati, there may be more escapes than that. None of them should dump fuel on your bike unless there is a leak somewhere. Closing the cap changes the system with an incorporated valve so test with cap open and closed.

Now, if you really want to make sure that you won't end up with gas all over you in a lay down, you will gently lay the bike over (with a helper) to make sure the cap doesn't leak like mine did.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That was what I initially chalked it up to, but then shouldn't the fuel overflow drip out of the black tube straight to the ground. You can see the fuel leak stain on the plastic of the tank. That's what has me confused. Can it just be from the bike being leaned over to far?
I see your point. Just checked a parts fiche (go online Omaha Ducati etc..) and each part of the filler is a separate part This is a good thing, as some parts are only sold as a unit.

First I'd check that the plastic overflow piece is not cracked. When you remove the tank you have to remove the overflow hose and it is tight, so it may have been compromised.

Inspect the other parts - if they look good, it might just be a gasket, and they can be ordered separately.

As far as tank distortion due to ethanol - that's not a problem with the newer bikes. You might find that the bike "moos" after a ride. It's normal, and it's just saying thank you.

I am speking about the watercooled bikes - not sure what you have, but check the parts fiche.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Pretty sure he has an AC Hyper and if it has an Acerbis tank it will have issues with ethanol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty sure he has an AC Hyper and if it has an Acerbis tank it will have issues with ethanol.
My Hyper is a 2012 796. How do I find out if I have an Acerbis tank. Nothing looks visually wrong with the tank itself and all of the panels fit properly with no gaps.

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
992 Posts
Has the evaporator charcoal canister been removed?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts