Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have had my ST3s for about a year ad have had no problems with the fuel gauge. The low fuel light normally comes on with about 6 litres to go. This has been a constant since I bought the bike....
My first long trip to Albury with panniers and tank bag I ran out of fuel......no warning light,still 3 bars on the gauge!!
The tank bag I have is a genuine Ducati that mounts with 4 strong magnets to keep it in place.
Could these magnets affect the sender unit in the tank to give a false reading????

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Interesting. I haven't heard of this happening with a magnetic tank bag. I believe the float inside the tube is plastic...so probably just a coincidence. I know these units can give some flakey readings...sometimes mine will hang at 1/2 full following a top off. I have to ride a bit to slosh the gas around and the gauge makes its way to full. I suppose the opposite can be true too...hung up when level of fuel is going down.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I run a magnetic with no issues at all. Lots of long distance trips, over lots of years.
It's my understanding that magnetic tank bags were dropped from most lines because the bags can mess up the paint, this makes them tough to find sometimes.
Never heard of one screwing up a fuel gauge.
You might look elsewhere to solve this puzzle.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
404 Posts
Been using magnetic tank bag as well ,daily 70,000 kms travelled with no affect on fuel gauge either ..... hope you can find the issue !

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I'd say no. The steel tank "grabs" the magnetic flux. Really doubt it will affect the fuel level sender.

Have you tried it without the tank bag to double-check?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts