Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my fuel lights comes on while I am doing the Tune Boy things and since the temp actually got to 50, I thought I would head over and fill up the tank since I have a trip on Friday anyway.

2 bars left on the indicator...Fuel light is on....I could only get 3.5 gallons into the tank...right to the neck. So 2 bars remaining and I can still have 1.8 gallons on a 5.3 gallon tank.

Does that seem right?

How much can you put in your tank once the light comes on?

Thanks!
Mark

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Usually less than 4 gallons if the light hasn't been on long. Not too long ago I left the house, the low fuel light came on and I rode another 40 - 50 miles and by the point I got to the gas station I had one bar left that started flashing a mile or two earlier and I had around 191 - 192 miles on that tank. I think I still only put about 4.5 gallons in the tank...

Some people contend filling up earlier keeps the fuel pump surrounded by fuel and therefor cooler so that may be why the lights come on so early.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've run it down to where it was flashing "0 miles" for about 10min. Got to the station, put in 5.2 gallons. :0

Best method is to track mileage and learn how many miles you can get before the light comes on. With ecu/exhaust I get about 180mi, stock was around 210 but that was different gearing as well.

Everyone's a little different; speed/weight/gearing. I think it's safer to judge how much fuel I have using mathematics vs Ducatis' electronics.

Reactions: t_bare

·
Registered
57 Posts
I find that fuel gauges are never that accurate, but they are repeatable. Likely every time your're at two bars, the fuel will be the same. I think they under estimate to reduce the chance of getting stranded.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 13 was less than 4 gallons at the low fuel light until I had the most recent fuel sender installed and now its a little over 4 gallons when the light comes on. It also seems more accurate at other fuel gauge readings with the newest sensor. If I run it down to 0 miles left I can almost but not quite put 5 gallons. The new sensor gives me more confidence in the accuracy of the reading so I will run it out farther than I would with the old sensors. Of course the odometer always works but it nice to have a gauge you can depend on.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
My new fuel gauge that was installed two weeks ago to replace my leaking fuel gauge has the low fuel light on all the time. I now always have 32 miles to go on the tank.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I always have 1.5 gallons in the tank when the low fuel light comes on. I don't start worrying about it until it turns to red, unless I'm in remote areas, in which case I head for gas ASAP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts