Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Fuel Gauge accuracy and mileage

1799 6
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it using the "search" feature.
I have an 04 ST3 which I just bought. It seems like my fuel gauge shows that I'm using a lot more fuel than I am. My fuel guage showed less than a quarter of a tank but I could only put in two gallons. Anybody else have this issue?
Related topic: What kind of mileage do you get?
Ron
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oldskier said:
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it using the "search" feature.
I have an 04 ST3 which I just bought. It seems like my fuel gauge shows that I'm using a lot more fuel than I am. My fuel guage showed less than a quarter of a tank but I could only put in two gallons. Anybody else have this issue?
Related topic: What kind of mileage do you get?
Ron
Yeah, reserve is pretty much about a third of a tank. Kind of worthless; I use my odometer to give me a better idea of how much gas is left. I think my mileage is around 40 mpg, but I've not checked it since my first 6k service and CO adjustment.

·
Registered
397 Posts
On my 03 ST4s there is about a gallon of fuel left when low fuel is shown on the display. The mileage varies greatly between a 5-6 gear use and a silly Wednesday night out with the Motorheads of Cleveland. 42 a low and 51 a high, but mostly on the slab.

I usually see 180 mi out of a tank and then I am searching for a gas station.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
158 Posts
Second dharhary's comments. The fuel gauge on my '02 4S seems to miss both the top gallon and the bottom gallon (maybe gallon and a half) of fuel. When I fill up, the gauge doesn't move off of full for about 40 miles. Conversely, when it shows empty, I seem to have at least a gallon, maybe more, before I'm REALLY empty. I don't think I've ever put in more than 4 1/4 gallons on a refill. My mileage is about 45 best I can figure. That gives me about 180 per tank.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Tipst4er said:
Second dharhary's comments. The fuel gauge on my '02 4S seems to miss both the top gallon and the bottom gallon (maybe gallon and a half) of fuel. When I fill up, the gauge doesn't move off of full for about 40 miles. Conversely, when it shows empty, I seem to have at least a gallon, maybe more, before I'm REALLY empty. I don't think I've ever put in more than 4 1/4 gallons on a refill. My mileage is about 45 best I can figure. That gives me about 180 per tank.
I have a 01 st4 and last summer coming home from Mexico I got 209 miles on a tank....usually I get in the 175-185 mile range, however, I started putting the bike on the center stand when filling and I can get more fuel in. I run at about 5500rpm 70-75mph and the extra fuel does help. I can now go further. Just a thought.

GIDDY UP!!!

Allen

·
Chilehead
6,870 Posts
When I changed my filter, I measured the tank capacity. It took 22l (5 3/4 US gal) from bone-dry to full to the brim. I figure that the first liter is basically unusable, so that's 21l (5 1/2 US gal) of usable fuel.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Yup sounds ljust like mine. My light comes on at about 150 miles, I usually fill up at about 180. And it takes about 4.5 gallons to fill up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.