Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

The digital fuel gauge on my 1999 ST2 is not working properly. It will show full when I fill up the tank and the bars will dissapear as it should until I get to about 3/4 of a tank. When the fuel level gets to 3/4, the bars will quickly go down to empty and the fuel light will go on. When I add more fuel, it always goes back up to full and repeats the process. Has anyone ran into this problem? I'm not sure if it's the float inside the tank or a wiring problem. If it was the float, why would it show empty when I know it's not? Too strange.

Thanks!

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
How much fuel are you adding? The reserve light usually goes on with a bit over a gallon left to use. For my ST, that is usually 170mi, then I add another 40mi to plan a gas stop.

FWIW, I go from full to 1/2 tank in about 100mi, then from 1/2 to reserve light in 70mi. So, the fuel indicators do disappear faster. I believe the fuel probe reports linear amounts, but the volume for each increment of height on the probe decreases as the tank tapers at the bottom.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I get about 100 miles on the first half of the thank and then about 30 on the second half before the light comes on. Assuming that I have a 5.5 gallon tank, I seem to have about 1.5 or so gallons left, or roughly 50-60 miles on 'reserve'. I'm getting about 37 or so mpg.

I guess it's better to have it come on early than late. I just know that at 130ish I should be thinking about gas. I really wish the tank had about one more gallon. Would like to hit the 200 mark regularly.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It sounds like the fuel snesor inside the tank. There is a cylinder that clips inside the tank with a harness that plugs into the one coming from the fuel pump assembly. I had a similar issue and it was fixed by replacing the fuel sensor. PM me if you need one, I have an extra in working condition.

Paul

·
Registered
572 Posts
Same weird fuel level indicator light behaviour occured to me several years ago on my 998.
It was the fuel level sensor, within the fuel pump assy. If it occurs again, i'll fxck the lamp ( i don't even know if that stuff work cause i never go to the reserve).

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

The fuel level indicator bottoms out and the light comes on within 50 miles of filling it up. Sounds like it's the fuel sensor inside the tank. I just replaced all my hoses and fuel filter, so I don't feel like ripping it apart again right now. I guess I'll put up with the low fuel light glaring at me for now. I'll just go by my miles, I assume I can get 200 miles out of a tank. I've only had the bike for a couple months.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
Assuming you don't want to run your tank empty by accident until you can get matters corrected, I too have found that my tank is about half empty at 100 miles.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Yup. Sensor.

Be careful. In another recent thread, it was noted that the ST2 gets slightly less mileage than the ST4 and ST4s. I'd recommend checking your fuel mileage for a while then compute what your range is at 4.5gal or so. 200mi sounds a bit risky.

Otherwise, the fuel sensor is mounted to the right of the filler hole. When it kicks over to reserve, it means that the fuel is just covering this area that can be seen by peeking down the filler hole. So, if you see fuel covering this area, you're not on "reserve" yet.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
The fuel gauge on my '02 ST4s has never worked properly! The damned thing usually shows full when I just fill the tank, then it quickly drops 3, 4 or 5 bars and stays there for a while. Eventually, the amount of fuel in the tank reaches roughly where the displayed value indicates and the gauge drops bars as normal from then on! :rolleyes:

I stopped relying on the gauge a long time ago. I judge my fuel by the trip odometer. I always reset it when I fill up. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts