Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know which domestic brand fuel filter can be used to replace the KNECH Filter Gruppe - Model KL145, fitted as original equipment, on the 2002 ST4s?

I'm a new member here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Alex

·
Registered
260 Posts
check this thread

alexfischer said:
Does anyone know which domestic brand fuel filter can be used to replace the KNECH Filter Gruppe - Model KL145, fitted as original equipment, on the 2002 ST4s?

Thanks, Alex
it looks like a bmw filter is a cross and cheaper.

http://www.t595.net/messageboard/thread.asp?thread=1846

·
Registered
403 Posts
alexfischer said:

Thanks, Alex
I use a NAPA 3032 filter, $4. The hose connections are within a few thousanths of the stock one. It is smaller in diameter and does not snug up to the stock plastic bracket. However, I dont see that as a problem since the hoses are pretty stout for holding it in place. This has been mentioned in LT Snyder's repair manual, too. In addition to that I buy Viton o-ring, Dash 247 as a substitute to the stock o-ring. It costs around $11 for five from McMaster Carr and is re usable should you have a situation out on a ride and need to get into the tank and then put the pieces together. I am still working on getting around the in-tank fuel lines and I think that BMW car lines may be a substitute, but I will work on that next Winter lay up.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I use the Napa filter as mentioned above and it works great and so much cheaper. Dave is correct in that it doesnt fit in the little holder but the lines will hold it in place. For the pressurized fuel lines, I also buy them at Napa. Just make sure you tell them its for fuel injection as there are 2 types, one is for low pressure and the other for high pressure.

Mike

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
dharhay said:
In addition to that I buy Viton o-ring, Dash 247 as a substitute to the stock o-ring. It costs around $11 for five from McMaster Carr and is re usable should you have a situation out on a ride and need to get into the tank and then put the pieces together.
Are these truly reusable? Fariborz (?) has a horror story about trying to reuse the Ducati brand O ring.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I understand and they are re usable. The stock o ring appears to be a silicone type of material and the replacement is viton. Since the replacement is so inexpensive I am not literally saying to re use it. What I should have explained further is that if you are in the field and broken down with a lets say an in tank hose issue, you can pull apart the items and put them back together using the replacement o ring.

All of us are vastly different in our approach for maintenance. But, I have re used the viton seal and it does work. Dont forget that there are few owners who do their own work and more that talk about it, this is the Internet after all.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I reused the big o,ring on my ST2. Took 2 tries, though. Lubing it helped.

I used a FI filter that I bought at Auto Zone. I think it was a Deutch FF424 for either 2 or 4 bucks. Not an exact fit, but I put a small piece of neoprene around it to allow it to be snug in the OEM clamp. Even if you don't clamp it, like Dave H. said, the hoses are short and stout enough to do the job.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey, I dont know what it is, but I like finding replacement parts for certain Ducati spares. And then, I have no problem paying for the OEM replacement belts. I cant figure myself out on this topic. Maybe its another way to enjoy the Ducati. Nice to hear others do similar part swaps.

My next issue is fuel lines. It seems that the lines to/from the injectors are $75 each. That is too much. I will go to the BMW shop this winter and check out their hoses.

Dave Harhay

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When the fuel lines melted on my 996R I simply replaced all that fancy plastic looking stuff with garden variety fuel line from the auto parts store and regular hose clamps. Not one issue in a couple years since I did it. backfires will do a few things to those fancy fuel lines, at least on the bikes with Shower injectors were fuel lines are in the airbox directly over bellmouths of TB. Mine got singed and developed a pinhole, lucky the bike did not catch fire. But standard rubber fuel line and hose clamps will work fine, you need nothing as exotic as the stock stuff.

Hey, I dont know what it is, but I like finding replacement parts for certain Ducati spares. And then, I have no problem paying for the OEM replacement belts. I cant figure myself out on this topic. Maybe its another way to enjoy the Ducati. Nice to hear others do similar part swaps.

My next issue is fuel lines. It seems that the lines to/from the injectors are $75 each. That is too much. I will go to the BMW shop this winter and check out their hoses.

Dave Harhay[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
403 Posts
I dont know what "fancy plastic looking" means in a technical sense. But I would not recommend to anyone to follow your recommendation. There have been many people who have caught fire due to issues with the fuel lines. The lines should be replaced with ones of equal specs. Maybe there are alternatives out there that are not OEM. Fuel injection quality at the very least.

I appreciate that you have what ever you have and over many years there has been no problem. You have not given enough specs for us to really understand what you have been using. You may have exact duplicate spec fuel line! We just cant determine from your post. But, be careful that may not be an area that you should not scrutize replacement parts.

Dave Harhay

Bigredxrunner said:
When the fuel lines melted on my 996R I simply replaced all that fancy plastic looking stuff with garden variety fuel line from the auto parts store and regular hose clamps. Not one issue in a couple years since I did it. backfires will do a few things to those fancy fuel lines, at least on the bikes with Shower injectors were fuel lines are in the airbox directly over bellmouths of TB. Mine got singed and developed a pinhole, lucky the bike did not catch fire. But standard rubber fuel line and hose clamps will work fine, you need nothing as exotic as the stock stuff.

Dave Harhay
[/QUOTE]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts