Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search but not much came up. Just thinking about it while I have it all apart. We're is the best place for new gas line and does the vent lines need to be the expensive stuff?

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
For fuel line, the in tank high pressure lines need to be (should be) the good stuff. Others have used standard FI line with no problems. Your call. I get it on Amazon, along with the big o ring, there are links provided in the equivalent parts sticky. The rest of the fuel line, out side the tank stuff, can be regular inexpensive fuel injection line you can get anywhere by the foot. Vent lines, I don't know. I've never replaced them as they look good every time I replace the filter. They are not under pressure at all, so they don't really warrant replacement simply as a precaution in my mind. If they look good, not dry looking or cracked, leave them.

And that brings me to the relocating the filter thing...

Why?

OK, I get why. It's a pain to open the tank up and get to the filter. But when you open the tank up to get to the filter, you're also inspecting all the lines and hopefully cleaning out the pump's sump screen which really needs to be done just as much as changing the filter. I personally have never been tempted to put the filter outside the tank for these very reasons.

Completely your call, just thought I offer my limited logic on the subject.

Reactions: Stick

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
There's beens some threads about it. It would be great to have it external, but you really want to have a peak in there from time to time.

No, the vent and overfill lines can be R3 hose.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think the expensive hose should be used inside the tank.
But the idea of fitting the filter outside of the tank is a good one. Seems crazy to open the tank up every 2 years when there's already enough maintenance to do.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
I agree with that general thought. But... You can still wind up pushing your bike, even with that fresh new filter you saved an hour of maintenance on because it's now outside the tank, because your pump's sump screen if full of gunk and rust you otherwise have missed...

Not personally in favor of the mod, but others have certainly done OK with it. Just not sure of the real benefit, myself. Preventative maintenance is all about looking for things, with eyes open, that could become a problem. It's not just checking a box with blinders on. Fuel filter every two years, check...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick response and good advice. I'm forgetting about moving filter. It's not that big of thing. Just out of curiosity how long is the life expensity of the fuel line inside the tank.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
385 Posts
I f you change filter as mentioned every couple or 3 years ... chances are you will never find out ... which is a good thing ...
Craig

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the quick response and good advice. I'm forgetting about moving filter. It's not that big of thing. Just out of curiosity how long is the life expensity of the fuel line inside the tank.
When I bought my bike it wouldn't rev past 7k. The filter was manufactured in 2000 the fuel lines were fine.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
It's never a bad thing to inspect stuff on your bike from time to time . That said , my bike had 26000 on it , without a filter change I'm fairly sure. The screen before the pump was pretty clean , it's pretty large so no danger there. I changed the lines because they were hard and it was easier to work with new ones. I plumbed the tank without the filter and placed them outside the tank because I used better filters that may clog easier and I don't believe the inside of my tank needs looking at that often. I purchased a 25 ft roll of good fuel line I'll be using from now on after someone told me how quickly the clear stuff burns through.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
The vent line should be fuel line but you don't have to use the expensive stuff. Stock Ducati stuff is too thin and can kink and collapse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts