Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
so I have been looking around the www for days now and I cannot find any information about the location of my fuel filter.

I recently bought a 1994 Monster 900 with 16000km on it which was sitting in a shed for 12years, got it running with belts, oil, etc. but now want to restore the fuel system.

Many manuals or threads show the filter sitting inside the tank and in order to get to it, you have to disassemble the mount for the filler cap.
On my 1994 Monster 900 however, there are no hex screws to remove as it's just welded to the tank! (pic 1)
I also cannot find a filter under the tank..(pic 2) the only thing between the fuel pump and the tank is this little plastic cylinder with rubber around it (pic 3).

This is all very confusing to me, as I have already ordered the to my model year corresponding filters. (pic 4) The main filter on the left and a "pump filter" on the right.
Does the smaller one fit into the part in pic 3?

I really am clueless here, does my Monster not have a fuel filter??

Maybe someone can shine some light on my headache with these filters..
Thanks for reading, hope to hear from you!

Attachments

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,253 Posts
The fuel filter does indeed live inside the tank. You get to it from the bottom, not the top. This requires removing the tank and fuel, then taking out the fuel pump assembly. After that's done, replace the filter and check all the fuel lines, fittings, and fuel pump screen while you have it all in your hands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply! are you sure I can access it from the bottom? The biggest thing to take off would be the gas level sensor.. (Pic 2) and the new filter would not fit through that hole.
Also, my Monster has a vacuum driven fuel pump outside of the tank and close to the carb.. if I am not mistaking?

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
NO, the filter is the white plastic piece held in the rubber mount. This was a early monster, quickly changed to the filter under the rear of the tank as in your last photo. Due to the tank you have I am not sure if it is easy to retrofit the later style filter but any non-oem in-line filter should work. I just checked for microfiche and I do not have a 1993 when I look online I can find fiche but they list it as an updated part and it is the later version you have.

I would try and retrofit a filter from the auto parts store or see if you can fit the later model.

In tank filters came years later and you can tell them by the removable flange in the top. Bottom access monsters did not come until plastic tanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all the information ducvet!
Maybe I will try to just mount the bigger filter under the tank, there should be enough space..
I also only just found an Italian manual which shows all the components of the fuel delivery system.
I think what got me confused the most was the duc-store onlineshop which stated the bigger filter to be a standard item from 1993-1994 which i ordered..
And the smaller filter is called "fuel pump filter" there..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Yes you may be able to fit the later filter as all the fiche I found list the filter you have as "updated" it is common for Ducati to not drop tune parts unless there is a replacement.
The pump filter screen you have in the picture does not go to your bike as it is for a electronic fuel pump (in-tank) and you have a vacuum pump between the cylinders.

Nice find on the filter picture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@ducvet that's good to know, so i ordered both parts wrong.. let's see if i can manage to find one that fits the rubberthingy that sits a few inches in front of the fuelpump. //Edit: i just found some on eBay! Part number is 425.4.005.1A weirdly it is often recommended for the 1997 model, but it looks exactly like mine! Man you just saved me trying to pull apart the one on my bike trying to put the screen i ordered into it..

@Yorik all good, you were just trying to help

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Go to autozone or the like. It's a $3-4 piece (and on the rack) vs $??? (and ???) at a dealer. Purolator makes it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the tip, I actually found one on eBay that fits for a few bucks! Its made by UFI and the part number. is: 3100500
Funny thing is, it says that it fits all kinds of Toyotas.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Funny thing is, it says that it fits all kinds of Toyotas.

It's a fuel filter (a consumable) no different than wheel bearings, light bulbs, or spark plugs. Ducati isn't going to have a special one made when there will nearly always be an existing part that fits their needs for far cheaper. If it's a part that hangs in an Autozone (every one I've ever been in), it fits far more than just Toyotas also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts