Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to put gas in the ST3s today and the cap will not open. The key only turns part way and feels like the locking tabs are not moving at all. Never have had an issue before. Tried both keys, same result. Suggestions?

Thanks,

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,477 Posts
What did you try? If you didn't already, try pushing down on the cap and then turning the key. The mechanism may be binding.

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
Hopefully the lock barrel just has some grit. First I'd try using compressed air try to blow debris out. If that didn't work, I would try a liberal dose of WD40 to help dislodge stuff. If that fails...well, I'm kind of at a loss! Did you notice any roughness in the mechanism lately?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Tried pushing down on the cap, no luck. Tried both black keys. Never had an issue with it before, last fillup everything worked as normal.
Will try some WD40 & compressed air today.

·
Registered
79 Posts
we had a lot of problems with locks at our work, the issue was tracked down to people using the said spray, if someone had a sticky lock the spray would fix it allowing the lock to operate, but after time the pins start getting stuck even worse because the said spray washed out an lubrication.

You can get special lock oil spray, but any light lubricating oil should do it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Exactly as stated. WD will get it moving now, but it needs to be lubed with something better later. Something with a little graphite in it will be good.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I recommend an aerosol dry lock lube. Personally I would not want to add oil of any type to a lock; you are setting yourself up for big problems later on with grit and dirt adhering to the oil film no matter how light the oil is. I had a similar problem with the seat lock on my ST and found the dry lock lube to work the best.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recommend an aerosol dry lock lube. Personally I would not want to add oil of any type to a lock; you are setting yourself up for big problems later on with grit and dirt adhering to the oil film no matter how light the oil is. I had a similar problem with the seat lock on my ST and found the dry lock lube to work the best.
Thanks for the insight everyone. I was out and did pick up some WD40 last night but haven't used it yet so I will try to pick up some lock-specific lubricant tonight.
Brand Name, place to buy?

Thank You,

·
Registered
965 Posts
I don’t have a name but, I don’t think a name brand is very important, just a dry lock lube with an injector tube. I bought a can at Home Depot; saw it while I was walking through the entry door lock section of the store. I give the two locks on my bike a shot each spring and haven’t had any problems or complaints. My goal was not to be stranded with a lock that wouldn’t open or have a broken key lodged in a lock.

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I'll swing by Home Depot on the way home.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried the Graphite, no luck. The key turns about half way, then stops. I have tried pressing down, pulling up, no change. Turning the key harder, the key starts to flex - don't want to break it off inside the lock.
Looks like I am going to have to remove the filler cap. Any suggestions or advice? If I can't fix the issue with this cap, what would be best going forward - new OEM filler or aftermarket?
Thank You,

·
Registered
965 Posts
Once you have the cap off the tank, you may want to try using WD-40 to flush out the mechanism. Work the key lightly back and forth and repeating with the flushing while holding the lock up side down. Hopefully that will dislodge the debris in the lock and flush it out. Then flush the lock with a non-oily solvent several times to remove the WD-40 and then after the lock is completely dry re-lube with the dry lube.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Mike.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This may be a long shot, but consider taking it to a locksmith. Maybe he/she can work their magic.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Not sure on a st3 but on a st4 there is one allen head under the cap, so one way or another you got to pop the cap to replace the unit. You might get lucky and be able to snap the cast foot off without poping the cap but not sure st4 has 3 jacking screws and 3 hold down bolts. on the outside.

·
7,733 Posts
Might it be a pinched fuel vent line? Have you had the tank up lately to check for pinched lines?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I bought one like the middle picture off E-bay it was made in NY. I've not fitted it yet. I found my source of my gas smell was a missing rubber fitting under the cap.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
You will get a raw fuel smell if there is no evap canister. Usually it is from the hot vert cylinder heating the fuel after shut down. Some vapor comes out the vent.

Before replacing that missing rubber fitting, check that your vent is clear. You don't want an extreme positive or negative pressure.

Have a good one.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts