Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back with another newbie question. My '01 750SS is running poorly after being warmed to operating temp. It will then start to sputter some, mis-fire a bit, and occasionally puff back through the airbox. This stuff happens while holding a steady throttle at all RPM's. When accelrating and decel, it doesn't happen as much, if at all.
I had a Triumph TT600 a couple years ago that had the same issues and I cured it aftter figuring out that the previous owner had messed with the fuel hoses and it wasn't allowing the tank to vent properly, so after a while the pump had a hard time keeping the fuel pressue up.
My question on the Duc is, how is it's venting system supposed to work? I found a rubber "cylinder" laying on top of the fuel flange under the cap. Should that be between the flange and cap to allow venting through the cap? Should the cap's valve be opening when it gets closed? I don't think it does now, but the gasket could be flat some and maybe the spring weakend.
Maybe I'm asking a stupid question and it has nothing to do with anything, so if that's the case, I apologize ahead-of-time. :confused:

·
Registered
773 Posts
fuel filler . . .

greetings judd184,

On my '96 900 SS, the gas tank is vented through the top of the tank towards the front. A one-way valve is on the hose, that goes from the tank, through the steering head and then along the frame, down to under the engine, and out by the oil sight glass. The overflow line is fitted to the under side of the gray metal piece, which is where you put the nozzle when you put gas in the tank. If, when you are filling up your gas tank, if you over do it, the extra gas comes up and over the gray metal piece and then down the hole, through the overflow hose, which goes through the tank and out, to under the bike, behind the engine. Put some gas into the overflow hole to make sure it comes out under your bike. and is not clogged.
Once, I had this hose come off the fitting, after I had just filled up, which promptly started to drain the gas tank. I had to reach into the gas tank, grab the overflow hose and bring it out, above the top of the tank. That hole is mighty small to get one's hand through and then back out. I later took a file to the inside edges, so it would be smooth, and not so sharp.
The fuel that ends up in the carbs starts at the filter sock on the fuel pump, then through the electric pump, then through the silver filter, then out of the tank and up to the carbs. There is a return line to the tank from the carbs. When you turn on the key to start the bike, the fuel pumps runs and fuel should be returning to the tank, because you are not using fuel yet to run the motorcycle. That's how mine works.
Change the silver fuel filter. It gets plugged, causing a high electrical draw on the pump and then pops your fuses. Carry extras fuses with you at all times, in each of the sizes you have. It may save your bacon and a long walk or push home.

chow,
Fred

1 - 2 of 2 Posts