Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys - I have a 2011 MTS 1200 Touring and love it thus far. One thing that I have noticed is that riding around town seems to really suck the juice in Urban mode. I didn't buy this bike for economy at all :D but thought that it might do a little better than it is at the moment. It only has 1600kms on the dial at the moment as well so I am guessing the engine has not yet loosened up and should get a little better over time.

I am getting 7.1L/100km (33MPG from a conversion website for you 'Mericans) at the moment and riding it very conservatively in Urban mode around town. What are other people getting? Does this figure get better over time? Thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds about right for city riding. I get around 44-45 mpg one up with about 45lbs in the cases. Mostly highway, some back roads and city mixed in.
Just because I was curious, I ran through a tank on urban mode thinking I would get better mileage. Wrong. If anything it was worse. Never do that. Keep it in sport where it belongs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry guys - I didnt mean to create a worthless thread. I had trouble searching the forum but have now worked out how to do it now and there are plenty of threads on economy. Very sorry - if there is an admin that can delete this then would really appreciate it.....sorry everyone :eek:

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Sorry guys - I didnt mean to create a worthless thread. I had trouble searching the forum but have now worked out how to do it now and there are plenty of threads on economy. Very sorry - if there is an admin that can delete this then would really appreciate it.....sorry everyone :eek:
Don't sweat it. FYI; mine sucks fuel around the 'burbs and commuting, in any mode, like an AC Cobra! 3200ks on the clock.
Open road though...5.1L per 100ks. Brilliant.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry can't be of much help. I have not been tracking it. I have noticed it is much less efficient on gas since I went to the full termi system versus the stock system. Not sure how much of that is because of the racing exhaust and/or me being on the throttle harder and longer because it sounds so nice. Also, I'm always in sport. I think I was in urban once since I got the bike.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I seem to average about 37 or so in urban mode when im driving in the city. When im riding in town i tend to ride somewhat conservatively anyway and i think that helps.

I find for me since i live where is a crapload of traffic that i tend to use urban mode quite a bit. I cant really comment on urban vs sport riding around town. I dont like sport mode in that setting one bit, way to abrupt and jerky for just putting around. The combo of soft power and tracton control make it perfect for riding around in the city. thats one of the things i love about this bike, it can be tame and civil when you need it to be and an untamed beast when you want it to be.

I can tell you when im in an area where i can use sport mode to the fullest i do much worse on fuel since i tend to be riding it like an idiot.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I'm getting about 42 mpg (US) on my highway cruises (130-140 kph GPS). The shortening of my windshield reduces the noise, and seems to have improved the efficiency.

In shite city riding, 32 mpg (+/-).

I miss my twisty roads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I commute to NYC from Connecticut (about 54 miles each way) and I am getting 42 miles per gallon. Keep it in Sport mode for 2 thirds of the ride and Urban for about a third of the ride.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have been using a phone app to track every tank for a little over a year (56 fill ups). According to those records: minimum = 30 mpg, maximum = 41 mpg and average = 36 mpg. I use the bike almost exclusively for one up fun in the twisties, no commuting or long highway stretches. However, it does seem that I am getting a little better on average with the latest software updates, which I only got a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Around town, for sure -- 33 or so. I've been tracking it on the iPhone and Fuelly, but not so much by where. Up to over 50 when just cruising, down to 30 in town a lot and stop and go.

·
El lobo solitario
103 Posts
I use my Multi exclusively for travel and I usually get 37 mpg average when weighed down with about 60lbs of crap. It will dip into the low 30's when I hammer it on twisty roads. On flat out highway use, I have at times made it into the low 40's , but thats only when there is a full moon and the gravitational pull makes me and the bike a little lighter. :abduct:

I'm running an Arrow 3/4 exhaust with a PCV and Redline 02 manipulator.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Avg. of 40.6 miles per Imperial gallon over 55 fill ups in 11,000km.
Bone stock, lots of two-up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yogi, I have a 2011 multi.
After my 1000km service I took it over to the Alps from Adelaide via the murray valley highway. Sitting on legal speeds all the way because I didn't want a ticket the bike returned average 61MPG and best was 67.3MPG and that was in touring mode. Like anything if you gas it up it's going to use it but it has a touring range of 400km safely. Set trip metre along with computer range, I found it to be very accurate. Even road down to just 1 litre left in the tank. When I'm out on Sunday rides it averages 5.7L/100km and that's going for it in the twisties. I'm light on the rev's not going over 7k rpm because I don't see the need to but it is the best fuel afficient bike I have owned.

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I got my 2011 Standard in Sept 2011, I was using the Urban mode around town and Touring mode on the freeways. When I took her in for it's 600 mile check up, the tech @ SoCal Ducati in Brea, CA told me to break her in using strickly sport mode regardless where I was riding it. I have 6k as of last week and I haven't took her off Sport mode yet. :D The mileage is around 40 MPG. The bike is used 95% for commuting. I ride 37 miles one way to work. All, but 1.5+/- miles on the freeways. I'll try Touring mode next time I'm on the freeway and see if the mileage improves. On the streets, I plan on leaving her in Sport mode.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Stay out of urban....remove the standard exhaust and stay below 70mph 115kph and consumption should improve dramatically....

Check out other mutleys on fuely.com :D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The instantaneous fuel indication is a great way of riding more economically if that's what you want. I think it's 5 clicks on the 'down' button. At least you will be able to see what it is you are doing that drinks the juice! (Keep an eye on the traffic too!)

·
Registered
84 Posts
During a trip from Seattle to Lake Chelan last fall, ~160 miles, I got 53mpg. Touring Mode. That was up and down a mountain pass and cruising at ~70mph for half and probably ~55-60 for the other half. I was pretty shocked it could be that good. I also get ~36 in town. The instant MPG readout really helps in setting your best cruise speed at a particular throttle ad gear.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've compared and for some reason I get better MPG in Sport mode then any other mode...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for being so helpful everyone - so glad I found these forums. Cant understand why the bike would be better in both touring and sport mode in terms of fuel consumption but you are definitely right. I rode it today and yesterday and the figures are definitely lower. I would have thought that Urban mode would have been more economical! Bizarre! Anyone know why? :think:

Thanks again for the tip!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts