Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Last year my 2003 Ducati Monster 1000 lost the ECU right after I finished the Tail of the Dragon. Had to limp it back to Ohio on one cylinder. Fortunately I was able to procure a new ECU (from Avanti Race Parts out of the UK — great company). Anyway, I installed the ECU and rode for a couple weeks last year before garaging the bike. I don’t remember any issues.

This year I’ve had a problem. The bike has what I can only describe as a “jerky” throttle when trying to hold the throttle steady in lower gears (I don’t notice it as much on the highway, but that could be due to other factors) and there is a significant amount of backfiring or popping through the exhaust. Notably, there isn’t any popping if I chop the throttle and engine brake. Backfiring and “jerkiness” results from rolling back the throttle or trying to keep it steady. I’m at a bit of a loss as to what’s causing it at this point. I was dumb enough to leave gas in the fuel lines and injectors from December to April, could that possibly cause these issues?

The previous owner gave me a pair of DP exhaust cans to go along with the system currently on the bike. Is it possible he had the previous ECU flashed or tuned, and that when I replaced that with a new, stock flashed ECU the problems began? Furthermore, I noticed that the bike doesn’t have an o2 sensor hooked up anywhere. I haven’t found a wiring diagram for this bike yet, so I’m not even sure if it’s supposed to have one. I presumed the bike was running lean, but when I replaced the plugs yesterday they did not look like they’d been running lean, or rich.

If anyone knows whether 2004 Monster 1000’s came with an o2 sensor any info would be appreciated. Advice and thoughts welcome.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The bike for sure would have needed a modified ECU to run DP exhaust - usually they are sold together. Dunno' about the O2 sensor, seems a lot more Ducs I've seen have plugs in the ports than sensors.

You may be able to find a map that works - I've read there's a repository somewhere on this site and DP exhaust on a Monster isn't an uncommon mod. Otherwise a Power Commander or Tuneboy and a dyno and competent tuner can help you.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
What ECU is in the bike?
5AM or 59M.
What is written on the original ECU?
What is written on the new ECU?

They may have different bin files "inside"

Did you reset the TP when you put in the new ECU?
Careful on that one as models with the 5XM ECUs and non-linear TP sensor must not use software based reset.
They are manually done by measuring voltage and adjusting the position.

If, prior to the ECU failing, did it run OK.
If so, you can Read the file from it, then Write it to the new ECU, then do a TP reset - note above comments about reset.

This needs IAW Writer and IAW Reader - great software that is donation based.
Also the Lonelec cable for IAW Diag, Guzzi Diag, JP Diag, TuneECU.

You might find a service manual or owners manual here. https://www.ducati.ms/forums/241-tech-forum/136183-service-workshop-manuals.html

If you still have the owner's manual, the wiring digram should be in the back of it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike for sure would have needed a modified ECU to run DP exhaust - usually they are sold together. Dunno' about the O2 sensor, seems a lot more Ducs I've seen have plugs in the ports than sensors.

You may be able to find a map that works - I've read there's a repository somewhere on this site and DP exhaust on a Monster isn't an uncommon mod. Otherwise a Power Commander or Tuneboy and a dyno and competent tuner can help you.
The research I did today led me to believe that perhaps the TP sensor might be the issue. And you're right, I don't think this model came with an o2 sensor. Thanks for the help.

What ECU is in the bike?
5AM or 59M.

Careful on that one as models with the 5XM ECUs and non-linear TP sensor must not use software based reset.

If so, you can Read the file from it, then Write it to the new ECU, then do a TP reset - note above comments about reset.

You might find a service manual or owners manual here. https://www.ducati.ms/forums/241-tech-forum/136183-service-workshop-manuals.html

If you still have the owner's manual, the wiring digram should be in the back of it.
I did not reset the TPS. The bike is a 2003 Monster 1000 with a 2004 Monster 1000 engine in it (I replaced the engine after I had repeated issues with the stator cover cracking) and originally had a 59M ECU in it. I replaced the original 59M ECU with a 5AM ECU from Aventi as I had read that the 5AM was more reliable than the 59M, and Aventi said they could flash the 5AM hardware with software/map appropriate for my bike.

So, since I have the 5AM in a 59M bike, should I reset the TPS mechanically or take it to the dealer for them to reset with software? Thanks a ton for the help, I think the TPS is in fact the problem.

As far as how it ran before the ECU died: it ran well but exhibited symptoms of the ECU dying. Some weird electrical anomalies. And I do not have the owners manual, the previous owner did not have it when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
all the 1000 ds models use a linear tps. every time you fit a new ecu, or flash an existing ecu, you need to do a tps reset. this is the electronic procedure. every time.

if it runs well without a tps reset it's just luck.

if it is an open loop bike, or open loop ecu, then you should set the idle mixture. idle trimmer adjustment is electronic.

the first closed loop bikes were the new for 2006 models - s2r1000, sc1000, m695, ms4rs and st3 (oddly enough). your bike was open loop ex factory, so no o2 sensor.

from memory the dp / termi muffler kits we were selling back then for 2v monsters didn't come with ecu. it was very, very rare to see a 59m dp ecu for a 2v monster.

59m and 5am, if loaded with the appropriate mapping for a given model, are visual and functionally identical. nothing unique to one or the other in any practical sense.

in any case, if it has been sitting i'd give it a strong dose of injector cleaner and a good thrapping once it's nice and warm. that never hurts.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
all the 1000 ds models use a linear tps. every time you fit a new ecu, or flash an existing ecu, you need to do a tps reset. this is the electronic procedure. every time.

if it runs well without a tps reset it's just luck.
Belter beat me to it.

You can do the TPS reset if you have the correct cable. Lonelec is the way to go.

If you add your location details via Additional Information in User CP top right, then someone might live near you who has the cable.

Reactions: Old rider

·
Registered
116 Posts
What ECU is in the bike?
5AM or 59M.

plus one on the tps reset.
Easy to do with the right kit and it's very cheap to buy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Alright, thanks for the help guys. I definitely need to set the TPS. Even if that isn't the source of the problem, and I suspect it is, it obviously needs to be set.

I'm usually a DIY guy with bikes (replaced the engine, did the valves, et al), but I think I'm going to call the local dealer and see if they can do the job. If it's not too much money I'll probably just run it out to them. I'll report back after the TPS has been set.

Thanks a ton, this forum is invaluable.

EDIT: Well I just called the dealer, and the soonest they could get the bike in would be June 7th. No way I'm waiting that long. Looks like I'll be buying the cables from Lonelec.

As I understand it, I should be able to do the reset strictly with software, as the bike has a linear TPS. Is that correct?

I found this:

Trailtech Vapor Complete Rolling Write-Up

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
As I understand it, I should be able to do the reset strictly with software, as the bike has a linear TPS. Is that correct?

I found this:

Trailtech Vapor Complete Rolling Write-Up
You can use ScanST 320 to reset TPS and do other things like looking for error codes, view what the ECU is sensing and even log data, including AFR if you have a Wideband sensor kit. You need to buy the WBO2 kit.

Diagnostic ECU Marelli

It is donation ware so please donate as it is very good and donating helps development!

If you use Google or whatever to translate that page "Wealth" means richness.
When you get the Lonelec cable, read the instructions before you plug it into your computer.

Again I suggest you edit your User CP and additional information section to show where you are.
Someone may live nearby who already has the cable.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You can also reset it with JPDiag and a couple of inexpensive cables. JPDiag is free for non-commercial use, it will dump fault codes and more importantly you can use it reset your service indicator that flashes on the dash. I had an OBD-2 cable for my VW and it turns out it works for my Duc too... I just needed a $5 adaptor cable (eBay) and away I went. Resetting the TPS with the software takes about 2 minutes. A Ducati dealer with their special Ducati tool could probably do it in even less time, hopefully they don't charge you too much.

If you do order a cable to do the work yourself, make sure that when you are hooking it up to your battery terminals (it requires power) that you hook + to + and - to -. Reverse polarity fries a connection inside the ECU and you need to do some McGyver-type jumpering of wires to make your ECU work again.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Another thing the cable might help you do is identify what map is in the ecu so if it has a Dp map you will know. If on the other hand it is a stock map you will be able to install a better map if you desire. I have tons of early 59 and 5am ecu's trimmed and running slip ons with no need for a dp map as long as you keep the air box lid closed. opening the lid requires more fuel than a set of slip ons so it is harder to make that work acceptably, some do it I don't recommend it.

If you are a hands on guy you need to become a tech guy simply because that's what the new bikes require, not having a tuning program these days is like not having a spark plug wrench.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you are a hands on guy you need to become a tech guy simply because that's what the new bikes require, not having a tuning program these days is like not having a spark plug wrench.
Spot on @ducvet I currently find myself in this "tuning via computer" learning curve.... 59M in a "new to me" SS800. I'm in "look don't touch" learning mode...doping my way through..doing my best to *not* wipe something out. Using Guzzidiag to this point, but have downloaded Scan 5 as well.

Sorry to OP for diverting thread.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Spot on @ducvet I currently find myself in this "tuning via computer" learning curve.... 59M in a "new to me" SS800. I'm in "look don't touch" learning mode...doping my way through..doing my best to *not* wipe something out. Using Guzzidiag to this point, but have downloaded Scan 5 as well.

Sorry to OP for diverting thread.
Digessing from the theme, but answering this post.
It is not hard to log and remap or just remap.
This is a link to a guide I wrote ages ago.
It refers to ScansT 310, but I am now using ScanST 320 without issues.
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/5774025-post177.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another thing the cable might help you do is identify what map is in the ecu so if it has a Dp map you will know. If on the other hand it is a stock map you will be able to install a better map if you desire. I have tons of early 59 and 5am ecu's trimmed and running slip ons with no need for a dp map as long as you keep the air box lid closed. opening the lid requires more fuel than a set of slip ons so it is harder to make that work acceptably, some do it I don't recommend it.

I contacted the previous owner to ask about the ECU and whether he had made any changes, remapped it, etc. He confirmed that the old ECU was stock. The new ECU I purchased from Avanti I requested to be stock as well. The airbox is open, strangely, or at least it appear modified. I don't know why he did that.

Perhaps I should purchase a stock airbox cover since I have slip-ons on the bike. As I've said however I'm almost certain the problem I am dealing with is the TPS not being set properly. My girlfriend lives in Louisville and the dealer there said he'd reset it for me for $60, so instead of buying the cable and downloading the software I decided to just take it down to him this weekend. I'd like to buy the cable and get the software eventually (maybe this winter) but I ride the bike so much during the warmer months that I just want it running well ASAP.

Thanks a bunch for all the insight from everyone and like I said, once I reset the TPS I'll post back here to let everyone know whether it resolved the problem. And thanks to everyone for the info regarding tuning programs and the necessary hardware to use them. I'll definitely be acquiring them in the near future.

·
Registered
423 Posts
H iDucvet
Code:
if you desire. I have tons of early 59 and 5am ecu's trimmed and running slip ons
With reference to your comment above, I would like to ask you if you have a modified map for a 5AM ecu
My bike is an ST4s 05 MY, with slipons, both open and closed air filter cover and DP air filter.
I am looking for a map that is modified in the 2,200-4,000 RPMs range and leaves everything else as is.
Thank you for reading my post.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Stelbo

To clarify I was saying a stock map with just trim changes will work 90% of the time With the stock unmodified airbox The trim function is accessed on your model with software and is NOT mapping, trim has the greatest effect in the low rpms so the range you are asking about may just need a little trim added. On your ecu the trim function has a larger effect that early ecu's but it will all depend on how far off you are.

There are a number of programs out there that will give the end user the ability to trim function, you should do little harm in adjusting seat of the pants but if you stray too far from norms stop and figure out why. Best/quickest would be a few runs on a dyno running in the throttle positions and rpms where you have the issue, as always make sure the fuel injection is set up first, it also is best that the valves are known to be in adjustment.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ducvet
Thank you very much for the info and explanations.
A few years back I had the Ducati shop raise the CO % to 5.5 or 6% as per the Forum recommendations.
But it was very smelly.
So later I asked them to lower it to 4.5% if my memory serves me well.
And I got back to square 1.
Though I have found out that the DP map in another ECU that I have is much better in the whole range, as long as you don't keep the throttle steady.
You suggestion for a couple of Dyno runs seems to be the best bet.
Thanks again

1 - 19 of 19 Posts