Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mr. Excitement
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1983 BMW R100 "S" for sale by original owner. This is a beautiful, ready-to-ride modern classic in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition. Odometer shows 36,500 original miles with complete service records. BMW hard bags & mounts and misc. accessories included. $4495. Located in Northern California. Please pm me for more details or photos. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
How do these compare to a DS1000 (if such a comparison is even possible) with regard to service/maintenance intervals? I've never owned a shaft drive bike; are they less headache in the long term than regular chain swaps? What kind of issues should one expect to deal with when owning a shaft drive bike?

I've always liked 80s bmw bikes (sorta on the hunt for an R80GS Paris-Dakar) for no real reason other than their aesthetic. Only now am I starting to research these.

Beautiful bike by the way.

Cheers,
josh

·
Mr. Excitement
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Josh, I'll attempt to answer your questions...
First, on an "airhead" of this vintage, BMW asks for "inspections" at 5,000 miles and "major services" at 10,000 miles. Valve inspections and carburetor synchronization are very straightforward because of excellent access to both.

Maintenance of the drive shaft and final drive are as simple as changing the fluids at the prescribed intervals, and lubricating the drive splines at the rear wheel any time you install a fresh tire. A shaft drive bike spoils you. I love my Ducati SC, but keeping the chain clean when you ride a lot can be a chore!

I once read a road test describing this bike as the "Gentlemen's Express." I couldn't agree more.

Best regards,
Robert

·
Mr. Excitement
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi- I've gotten a lot of great inquiries- thank you!

Thought I'd add to the information with a bit about the upgraded components and accessories that are part of the package...

I've installed: Progressive fork springs, Koni 7610 adjustable shocks, Dual Fiamme horns (very loud), Napoleon bar-end mirrors, stainless brake lines, insulated diode board, quality rubber fork gaitors, metzeler "lazer" tires, BMW hard bags & mounting frames, BMW power-let, battery tender connection, ground switch kit, BMW rear tail rack, Bing carburetor independent float kit, VDO oil temp gauge for dash, etc.

I had the heads completely re-conditioned (valves/ valve seats/ cylinder re-seal) by California BMW at just 6,000 miles ago. The bike runs like a top.

I have the stock mirrors, and misc. gaskets for you, along wit the big Clymer repair manual. Other cool original equipment including a BMW cable lock that stores in the frame backbone, the factory tool kit, BMW bulb kit, frame mount tire pump, and original rider's manual. I am the original owner with the complete service records.

Thanks again for the great response. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Robert

·
Mr. Excitement
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Bike has SOLD!

The bike went to a new owner today. Thanks to everyone who responded to the listing...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.