Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

I’m contemplating selling my 2003 999R (no. 179/~500), which is in excellent and original condition (besides the Sargent seat).

Adult ridden and never dropped or crashed.
I’m a very picky Ducatista (+20 years) and would rate my bike a 9-/10.

Bought the bike from another Ducati enthusiast/collector with 3500mls in 2012.
6000mls service (all fluids, valves & belts and brake pads) was done ~2017 or around 800mls ago. Bike has currently ~6800mls on it.

Full Ohlins suspension, forged wheels, Carbon fiber fairings, nose, seat, belt and clutch covers. Magnesium light cluster and CF mirror stays.

Full 57mm titanium Termignoni incl dyno tune/sheet.

Bike comes with clear NJ title, 999R plaque, 2 black and 1 red key/code-card, 3 owners manual, orig. Ducati rear stand, “Fila” dust cover and “bubble wrap”.

I have multiple bikes and have focused now mainly on track bike/riding (999S and 916) and “need” to make some space for my Porsche, hence the reason for selling the bike - I know, “first” world problems.

Asking price: $12,999.-

Let me know if you any questions!

Thanks,
dc

PS: I would consider a early Hypermotard or early BMW GS as trade in’s.
And NO, I will not consider any offers that start with a “10”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Flying Brit
1,806 Posts
Fantastic GLWS I have #171

·
Registered
899 Posts
very nice! was that the "R" cover or did the org. owner purchase separate as with the storage "bubble"? no magnesium valve covers?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very nice! was that the "R" cover or did the org. owner purchase separate as with the storage "bubble"? no magnesium valve covers?
The actual cover and bubble are OEM Ducati but not original to this bike!

I don’t think the first year had magnesium valve covers - I think this is one of the official press release picture.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Still have a that slipper clutch?
I assume the "no numbers that start with a 10", is aimed at me.....lol

Last round of auctions was a mixed bag and a couple of 999R sales.
With the way the world is currently, I would assume the pool of buyers would shrink a little bit for a while.

But like we last talked, most owners are indecent places and able/willing to hold out.

Good luck.
Beautiful bike.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Folks, let’s establish some respectful post guidance here:

a) Please don’t use my FS post as a platform for bike price discussion. That’s why we have the “Superbike” form - for questions and discussions. Thanks...

b) As in regards to MY asking price, which I obviously think is reasonable, it’s very easy:
You like, you buy.
You don’t like, you don’t buy.

You want a better price? PM me your serious BIKE offer and let’s talk. I’m flexible about the stand, cover and bubble. Maybe we can work something out.

If you are respectful, I’ll be respectful.

c) I really don’t care about any auction prices! Have you seen the auctioned and my bike in person? Is it a 1:1 comparison? At the end of the day, it’s doesn’t matter to me.

You don’t agree? Great, good for you - remember: you like, you buy. You don’t like, you don’t buy.

I’m perfectly happy if the bike stays another 10 years in my garage. IMHO, I think 999R’s prices are at rock bottom and they are not getting any cheaper with time.

Feel free to ask any technical questions about my bike and I’ll try to answer in detail and in a timely fashion.

Let’s not get too overwhelmed here, particular in these crazy times we are all facing, and continue to be respectful to each other.

Stay healthy everybody!

PS: @surffly, I’m sure you know everything about “shrink”-age and rest assured, I will never sell you my bike!

However, if you show me a negative COVID-19 test, I’ll buy you beers in person and we can talk about bikes and your pricing “strategy” all day long.

·
Registered
180 Posts
As always, meant do disrespect. Just having a conversation. Nothing secret or underhanded.

I agree that the market is about bottom on the 999R. The Covid panic will pass, as all panics do.

So, when we last talked the bike had a slipper clutch in it. Still have it?
What do you value the cover and bubble at? Never seen those before.

Talk soon.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Gorgeous bike! If I wasn’t in a hunt for a 2002 998 mono (in yellow) I’d be all over this bike! Plus it’s local (did this come from Trebour?)

GLWS!!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gorgeous bike! If I wasn’t in a hunt for a 2002 998 mono (in yellow) I’d be all over this bike! Plus it’s local (did this come from Trebour?)

GLWS!!!

Thanks and what a small local NJ world it is, I was just in Long Valley a few weeks ago. And good luck finding a 998 in yellow, didn’t they make only 150 of them?

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts
Seeing all the Carbon Fiber on the S's (and even more on the R's) back then it makes me think the new s's and r's are getting seriously shortchanged on farkles from the factory. That's a damned pretty bike. If it's still available when New Yorkers aren't shot on sight in any other state I'll have to do some thinking (had my heart set on a Streetfighter - v4s or 1098s... but I've liked the 999 aesthetic since the first one I saw).

What did it dyno at?...IIRC the R's claimed a few HP over the S.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seeing all the Carbon Fiber on the S's (and even more on the R's) back then it makes me think the new s's and r's are getting seriously shortchanged on farkles from the factory. That's a damned pretty bike. If it's still available when New Yorkers aren't shot on sight in any other state I'll have to do some thinking (had my heart set on a Streetfighter - v4s or 1098s... but I've liked the 999 aesthetic since the first one I saw).

What did it dyno at?...IIRC the R's claimed a few HP over the S.
@DaveK

I had the same thought about the S/R upgrades/goodies in comparison to the new models of today.
IIRC, the 2003 MSRP was ~$35k with the optional full Ti Termis and DP ECU.
That’s almost $50k In today’s money, in comparison to the $40k of a new Pani V4R.

The engine is extremely smooth from 3k all the way to the top with instant response and it Dynoed 132hp and 74ftlbs at the wheel. If you take a avg crank/wheel adjustment of 15% that’s around 152hp and 85ftlbs.

Good luck in NY and stay healthy!

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Very nice example of the first in the series. I've heard more than a couple times the 2003 999R was monitored more closely during the build process, engine on up and that resulted in the engine holding spec with valve clearances a lot longer, or, if any adjustment was needed it was minor.

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
@DaveK

I had the same thought about the S/R upgrades/goodies in comparison to the new models of today.
IIRC, the 2003 MSRP was ~$35k with the optional full Ti Termis and DP ECU.
That’s almost $50k In today’s money, in comparison to the $40k of a new Pani V4R.

The engine is extremely smooth from 3k all the way to the top with instant response and it Dynoed 132hp and 74ftlbs at the wheel. If you take a avg crank/wheel adjustment of 15% that’s around 152hp and 85ftlbs.

Good luck in NY and stay healthy!

My HP numbers were almost the same as yours after a dyno tune in 2011, 133 to the rear wheel, I believe under the revised measuring system. I recall my tuner telling me otherwise the bike was somewhere north of 150HP. Forgot the torque number because I lost the paperwork. I'm pretty amazed how smooth it pulls at WOT and how much it pushes me back in the seat too. I went ahead with the dyno because after installing my Leo Vince Corsa Ti system, the engine ran a little rough at idle. I always had some anxiety about going forward with the dyno, having a nightmare of the engine exploding (too many Utube videos). The process aged my Ti headers by turning them blue, but the upgrade gave me noticeable performance improvement. Love the sound of the Leo Vince full system.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
....I'm pretty amazed how smooth it pulls at WOT and how much it pushes me back in the seat too....“
Fully agree! It always amazes me how the engine provides instant power w/o any hesitation.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Small update/correction to my initial post, the bike’s current mileage is 6589.

Cold start video available upon request

·
Registered
406 Posts
Great looking machine. I have always had a soft spot for the 999 bikes. I had one standard and two S variants but never landed an R model. If I hadn't purchased an 888 SPO a few months ago, I would be working on this one for sure. I know you are probably not interested in a trade, but, I would trade my 888 for this one.
Thanks,
Scott Mann
Tyler, Texas

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.