Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 848 seems to have an issue with the pressure relief system in the tank. I first noticed some yellow discoloration around the gas cap, but what really called my attention to the issue is when I opened up the tank and it let out a healthy "Pssssh" of pressure. I had the bike in the shop to get a new radiator and mentioned it and the mechanic blew some air through the drain lining, also noting that the discoloration was abnormal.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, I stored the bike for winter. Battery out, filled the tank and put in some sta-bil. A couple of days later I get a call from my relative whose house the bike is stored at saying her garage smells of gas...this coincided with a 20 degree or so temperature rise on that particular day, which would have upped the pressure in the tank. So I found gasoline on the floor coming out the tube, but more importantly, it had come up out of the gas cap and drooled across the tank until it dripped down the left side of the bike (left fairing off). Now I fear that my tank is permanently stained yellow (the bike is pearl white).

I'm hoping someone can give ideas as to what is not functioning properly to create this problem. Is the cap supposed to allow pressure out through it? I know for a fact that the drain hose is clear, as the mechanic blew air through it and you could feel it from the other end...

All I can say is, good that the bike is still under factory warranty! I've gotta get around to getting one of those extended ones here sometime soon!

Also-if I don't need a new tank, and I'm assuming I don't, does anyone have any paint safe ideas for removing that yellow gas stain? And if I don't get it off is it going to flake the paint off the bike??

Gracias in advance!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that if you remove the gas tank assembly, you can see where the paint on the inside wall is flaking pretty badly, so this has to have been happening for some time now. (I bought the bike a month or two ago).

heeeeeellllllllllllpppppp!

·
Registered
143 Posts

Sounds like you have a problem with the emissions system. Have you had your initial service performed yet?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has had the 600 mile service done, but is ready to go in now for the 7.5k service, I've just been waiting for a few funds to pile up to do it. I had contemplated doing it this coming spring. How does the emissions system affect this? What is the process that's causing the gas leak? And how would the initial service curb that problem?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts