Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a nail in the rear tire and need to get the wheel off. Ordered the 46mm tool off the internet and could not loosen it for the life of me, even with a pry bar. It actually bent the tool. I have tried wd40 as well. I have the stronger speedymoto tool on order and am going to try heat as well.

Any suggestions?

And please don't tell me it is reverse threaded!

·
Registered
588 Posts
So I got a nail in the rear tire and need to get the wheel off. Ordered the 46mm tool off the internet and could not loosen it for the life of me, even with a pry bar. It actually bent the tool. I have tried wd40 as well. I have the stronger speedymoto tool on order and am going to try heat as well.

Any suggestions?

And please don't tell me it is reverse threaded!
Hey ORIF, yeah that nut can be a bitch. It's not a backward thread, just a big tight nut.

I use an electric impact wrench to loosen it now and a good torque wrench to tighten it up. (torque value is cast into the wheel, look close)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Go to a tire shop and use their impact wrench with your socket.

I had the opposite problem last weekend. My rear crash bobbin had popped out the lock pin. Whilst wheel standing (as you do on this bike) the rear started squirming violently. The nut had undone itself and the wheel was only held on by the bobbin.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This might sound funny but it works - use a TIG welder to strike an arc on the nut and more it around the nut. The arc is bloody hot so don't leave it in one spot for too long. Then give it a go with the socket

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I was finally able to remove it with a rented Hitachi corded impact driver and the Speedymoto socket.

I would strongly advise against the buying the cheaper ebay aluminum socket as it is plainly not up to the task.

Save yourself $50 and buy the Speedymoto tool first.

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mine came right off with half a burp of a 1/2" impact tool with the Desmo Times socket, I was expecting more trouble. It was greased up nice too, perhaps thats why.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
My nuts freeze every now and then. But I think that's a different problem.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Well I was finally able to remove it with a rented Hitachi corded impact driver and the Speedymoto socket.

I would strongly advise against the buying the cheaper ebay aluminum socket as it is plainly not up to the task.

Save yourself $50 and buy the Speedymoto tool first.

Thanks again for the help

or if you plan on doing more work on your bike, do yourself a favor and purchase a good impact socket set that has sockets in the size range you will use on the bike (left and right rear wheel nuts are the largest on the bike ... so start there, and work down in size.

·
Registered
680 Posts
or if you plan on doing more work on your bike, do yourself a favor and purchase a good impact socket set that has sockets in the size range you will use on the bike (left and right rear wheel nuts are the largest on the bike ... so start there, and work down in size.
+1 anytime you can justify going tool shopping is a good thing. BTW...same nut and torque since the '94 916.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts