Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I am fixing a hypermotard for a friend of mine. Its a 796 and he ruined the front Suspension doing wheelies :grin2:

I pulled the forks of and there is no dampening anymore. Before I pull them apart, can anyone explain the differende between the left and the right fork?

There was no visible leaking at the fork seals. That would be the first thing I would suspect to be broken. Is it also possible some of the internals broke? The dampening pistons for example?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Edit: On the left fork is a sticker with 9437144 and the right one 9437156

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmz, found a youtube vid showing the exact same problem;

Although I have both forks without dampening

·
Registered
442 Posts
The forks that come on the 796 are not able to be disassembled and of of pretty low quality. The only thing you can do it remove the spring from one side. I have been through this, they are just not rebuildable. I know its not what you want to hear but I think the best thing to do is pick up a set of used forks and triples from an 1100

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The forks that come on the 796 are not able to be disassembled and of of pretty low quality. The only thing you can do it remove the spring from one side. I have been through this, they are just not rebuildable. I know its not what you want to hear but I think the best thing to do is pick up a set of used forks and triples from an 1100
Hiya HyperB, I found out you are right. The lower part of the forks can't be opened, seems that the only alternative is finding replacement forks. A lot of threads mention a 1100 hypermotard fork... are all the models usable or only certain years?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hiya HyperB, I found out you are right. The lower part of the forks can't be opened, seems that the only alternative is finding replacement forks. A lot of threads mention a 1100 hypermotard fork... are all the models usable or only certain years?
It sucks Ducati made this choice of forks for this bike. There are differences in length/travel between the base 1100 and S/EvoS Models. I cant remember off the top of my head the numbers, but they are longer, which will need to be compensated for. Also, the 1100's come with larger diameter forks, so you will need the triple trees for an 1100 as well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yup, the whole 796 forks thing is a pain!
Whole front end off an 1100 or I have seen early Multistrada might be possible but you lose the Hyper radial brake set up so you need the Multi wheel & brakes...
There are a couple of 796 aftermarket spring suppliers but that's about it.
Some time back I had an email chat with Maxton who reckon they can rebuild them but with major modification / welding etc & many hundreds ££££. Apparently this type of fork is used by other mfrs & Maxton say they have modified those to better spec.
An Italian supplier made adjustable forks for the 796 but about £1200 if I recall...

Reactions: HyperJB

·
Registered
442 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts