Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just wondering, after recently suspending my 998 under a 12' step ladder, in order to get the front wheel off, what do others here use to raise/hold the front end off the ground when removing the front wheel ?
My 2000 900 SS has hole on the bottom side of the headstock, that I assume can take a front paddock/race stand. But the 998 has no hole under there.......
Appreciate your input here,

Cheers

·
Registered
205 Posts
Look under the bottom triple on your bike, you'll see a very small drain hole this can be opened out with a drill to take a normal headstand

·
Registered
89 Posts
Pit Bull makes some really high quality race stands. I've used both the under triple lift stand as well as the under fork bottom style. That's what I use to remove the front wheel. FYI, you do have to use a front stand in conjunction with a rear stand.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,887 Posts
I have a Pit Bull stand that lifts from under the fork bottoms, but I definitely prefer to use my other Pit Bull that lifts from the triple. It's a bit of a hassle changing pins for each bike though.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
claw/

*J>sm64pQw if your cheap :yeah: what I did was lopped off the pin attachment arm & adapted a claw/ 2 stands for 1.used a inner sleeve to mount the arms.claw fits like a glove on the lower fork clamp & its well covered to protect from marring it.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Front stands

I picked up a T-Rex front and rear stand .
The front uses forks or pins...I misplaced the Pin for my ST4S and was in DIRE need...so I found a deep well socket that fir the ID of the Lower headstock and the OD of the Stand Pin...
Never bothered to purchase another pin from Trex..
Ive had no issues at all from T REX Quality...they are well built with GREAT support.
BUT...
Pit Bull stands are still the gold standard..Mike S

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, something for me to think about......

Regarding under fork stands, are they ok when removing front wheel - accessing callipers, getting axel out/in, etc....

Thank for your input.

Cheers

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've used a car jack and piece of wood under the horizontal cylinder. Had no issues.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I love it! Necessity is the mother of invention. Maybe we should start a thread looking for the most ghetto solutions... ;)

ROFLOL
Those guys must be actors. Nobody can be like that in real life, can they?

Reactions: Jakepeewee2

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I once did a ride across West Virginia, all back roads. Those looked like the upper class citizens. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I once did a ride across West Virginia, all back roads. Those looked like the upper class citizens. :)
Stop that. My eyes are so misty I can't see the screen.
Those two look like they just came down from the hilltop in search of salt and gunpowder.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Regarding under fork stands, are they ok when removing front wheel - accessing callipers, getting axel out/in, etc....
Cheers
Not ideal IMHO, but can be done if you're careful, and depending on the quality of the stand.

I had a very near accident with mine; as I was trying to tap out the axle, the opposite fork leg came out of the stand and the bike tipped and almost fell over.

I returned that stand and went the triple-tree route. No issues there, whatsoever and very stable.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not ideal IMHO, but can be done if you're careful, and depending on the quality of the stand.

I had a very near accident with mine; as I was trying to tap out the axle, the opposite fork leg came out of the stand and the bike tipped and almost fell over.

I returned that stand and went the triple-tree route. No issues there, whatsoever and very stable.
My underfork front stand has locator pins that sit inside the bottom of the fork leg ,, never had any problems with the forks wanting to come off the stand ever.
Omg , I need to clean my bike

Attachments

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
On our ride I was totally shocked at how many little houses had headstones in the front yards. Presumably Grandma and Grandpa. Usually not far from the outhouse.

True story. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 18 of 18 Posts