Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front wheel spacer rattles a wee bit after bearings were changed out. It's been a very long time (dragging my feet putting all back together) and I don't remember if it did prior to swap out. Are the bearings not seated all the way?

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Not sure what you mean when you say it rattles. Is it the correct wheel ?
Did you swap wheels or remove the outer seal for the speedo drive?
Did you put in the same bearing size that came out?

If all correct and original I would bolt it all up and tighten things so you can check wheel alignment in the calipers and centering in the forks. If it is all good maybe take a video to show us what you are seeing.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I believe he’s talking about the spacer between the two wheel bearings.

Yes it’s normal for it to move a little. When you tighten the axel nut it should pull the bearings up tight against the spacer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Lol... yes that makes a lot more sense doesn't it.

If the spacer is too loose the inner races on the bearings will be side loaded and this is not good. Yes first try and seat the bearings putting pressure only on the outer races. You should hear the races change tone when you have seated them. If the inner spacer is still too lose then I would consider either adding a shim or making a new spacer. If a stock wheel then the spacer is probably be steel and less chance it was due to the spacer so look close. If it has an aluminum spacer though I have seen these compress over time and need to be re-shimmed.

It is not a problem as long as the wheel is still spinning freely when final assembled to running torques, if you find the wheel does NOT spin freely (no brakes ) then you may be side loading the bearings.

Now .... where is that coffee I so obviously need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll see how it is after bolt on. Hopefully some time this weekend. Thanks

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
if the bearings are all the way home the early wheels should be fine. some of the later brembo wheels if you nail them all the way in you can hardly turn the bearings they're so heavily loaded.

it should move, but not have any end to end play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts