Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I replaced the front tire on my new-to-me 999S and need a sanity check please.

I removed and cleaned the calipers at the same time and are getting ready to put everything back together.

Now that I have reinstalled the front wheel (installed everything in the revers order, got the front of the stand, pumped the fork several times and hand tight the axel) I checked the disk center-position within the calipers (w/o pads) and observed that the left disk is of center and very close to the inside edge of the left caliper. Right disk/caliper position looks very centered.

At the same time, I measured the position of the wheel and disk within the fork legs and they are also centered.

Hence, everything looks good and centered except the left disk/caliper combo, even if I loosely and hand tight the left caliper, it barley moves and the disk is still off center to the inside.

Any comments, experience or advise is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

PS: the wheel nut and pitch bolts are torqued to spec!

IMG_9974.JPG

IMG_9975.JPG

IMG_9976.JPG

IMG_9977.JPG

IMG_9978.JPG

IMG_9979.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And here some pics of the right disk:

IMG_9980.JPG

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the off centered left disk:

PPS: absolutely no rubbing/grinding noise when I spin the wheel!

IMG_9983.JPG

IMG_9987.JPG

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you loosen the caliper bolts does the caliper move around or is it pinned to the lower? On my Panigale you have to center the calipers by applying the brakes before tightening the mounting bolts. My calipers are not pinned but I've seen some that are.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you loosen the caliper bolts does the caliper move around or is it pinned to the lower? On my Panigale you have to center the calipers by applying the brakes before tightening the mounting bolts. My calipers are not pinned but I've seen some that are.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

The calipers move, but not enough to center them. They maybe move 1-2/10th of a mm. I would guess that I need at least 1-1.5mm to center them.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
General question, does the axle sit flush with the lower fork ends - see my 2nd picture?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Had the bike since new? If not, do you know the history? Is this the first time you’ve had the wheel off?

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
How thick are the discs? they look thicker than originals to me.

I have Brembo HPK discs (5.5mm thick) on my 916, fitted with 1198 Ohlins forks and HPK calipers and the discs were a tight fit in the calipers with one side just touching but very little clearance on either. I had to alter the wheel spacers to move the wheel into the best central/compromise position.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had the bike since new? If not, do you know the history? Is this the first time you’ve had the wheel off?

No, new to me with service history of the past 3 years. It had a full service at a reputable Ducati dealer and a "tire shop" replaced the tires about 2 years ago.

Both Brembo disks measure 4.45mm, with a min. 4mm note.

Also I have to correct one of my previous statement; the off disk needs to move about 0.3-0.5mm to be centered - NOT 1-1.5mm!

Also, I looked at the wheel spacer in my '03 999R, at it appears that on the R the spacer is not the same thickness as in the S.

I'm tempted to machine the S spacer down by maybe 0.1-0.2, to split the difference between both disks.

Any concern about this with the actual wheel centering within the forks?

Thanks for all your inputs!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pictures of the S spacer:

IMG_9977.JPG

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pictures of the R spacer:

IMG_0003.JPG

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Have the wheel bearings been replaced, possibly not fully seated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I'm tempted to machine the S spacer down by maybe 0.1-0.2, to split the difference between both disks.
On mine, although using 10-spoke Marchesini wheels, they were for 916 and so had a cutout for the speedo drive. As I have a digital speedo driven from the rear wheel I needed a speedo replacement spacer, obviously these are made the same thickness as the mechanical speedo drive (30mm IIRC) but to get the best, most central position for the brakes to line up correctly it required moving the wheel by, IIRC 0.5mm.

A little machine work made it all fit nicely so, yes if machining down works then go for it.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have the wheel bearings been replaced, possibly not fully seated?

I don't know and also thought about it.

However, I doesn't answer the question why one disk is centered and the other not.

I will check it before I machine the spacer.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
.5 isn’t worth worrying about. Don’t forget to lube the axle where it’s pinched by the right fork and bounce them before you do the nip the pinch bolts up. To many people lean on these pinch bolts as if the wheel is going to fall out if they don’t, it won’t. Tighten them in steps, left right, left right, left right.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I don't know and also thought about it.

However, I doesn't answer the question why one disk is centered and the other not.

I will check it before I machine the spacer.

It’s really easy for the fork spread to be out by .5mm. Not saying this is your problem but still.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Did you install the wheel according to the procedure for centering it in the shop manual. It makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you install the wheel according to the procedure for centering it in the shop manual. It makes a difference.

Besides pushing the fork down a couple of times, what other procedure do you mean?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts