Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've managed to destory the old, and the replacement seal ring I bought (lucky there reasonably cheap) trying to install it after replacing the front wheel bearings. Any tips on how to get this pressed in? I tried pushing it in by hand with no luck. With the new one I tried pressing it in with an old speedo drive but it ended up all bent and distorted. I'll buy another one tonight.

I thought the wheel bearings would be the hard part... Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
comrade moderator
27,143 Posts
You'll need something the same diameter as the very outside of the seal where the metal band is. A socket...piece of PVC pipe...anything hard that will take hammer taps, really.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I've never had any issues with lip seals but this seal ring is quite large and I dont have a socket that size with me. Will invest in a bearing/seal driver kit.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Since the seal sits flush with the wheel something soft and flat against the wheel will get it square l driver you could use a flat piece of wood or something non-marring that would be similar.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Make sure the wheel surface is clean and smooth where the seal fits. Grease the seal and surface. Keep the seal square as you tap it in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've ordered a good seal driver kit for next time. The weather is good this weekend so didn't want to wait until next week when its delivered. Gave Gowanloch Ducati a call on the way home from work today and they helped me out no questions asked (they ended up using a huge socket). Thanks again for all the replies, I've managed to do pretty much everything on this bike thanks to the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts