Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just finished adding some nice shiny carbon fibre parts, changed the oil, and removed the rear wheel on my Multi to have a tire mounted. I was a little squeemish about the rear tire but the $20 55mm socket at Tractor Supply and some highly carcinogenic moly grease made life good again. So I go to the front wheel and get everything off except for the Brembo's. I can't slide them off the disk because they are trapped between it and the hub by the half that sits inside the hub behind the disk. Am I supposed to take the two halves of the Brembo's apart to remove the front tire? What am I missing? That is not a maneuver I care to perform unless it is necessary.
Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
You've done nothing wrong. The pads are tight against the rotors. You need to create some space between the pads and the rotor so they will clear. I can do mine by hand by raising the brembo's as close to the wheel lip as possible and then pull the brembo away from the wheel so that the rotor helps to seperate the pads enough to clear the wheel. Hope that makes sense. :confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ah pulling the pads out! Never thought of that.

I do as Greg does. Take the caliper out as close to the rim as possible and gently twist against the rotor pushing the brake pistons back in the caliper. Twist in both directions to push them as far back as possible, and then the whole thing should simply roll out. Not much room, but that is what you live with when you have 17 inch rims and 320mm brembos.

Removing the pads will create the same room you need to roll the caliper out.

The added benifit of the first method is that you push the brake pistons through their entire stroke which doesn't happen very often.

Most important when you re-install, don't forget to pump up your brakes again. That is pull your lever in several times to push the brake pads back into their normal position and you have firm lever pressure again. If you don't it can have dire results. Not much fun having no front brake when you grab a handfull.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Once you take off the caliper bolts just twist the calipers left to right to compress the pistons and voila, they should slide out. It is a bit tight but shouldn't cause that much issue.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just don't squeeze the brake while the pads are out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help

Great advice as I expected. I was hesitant to twist the beasties since that seemed like hammer mechanics to me. I was worried about damaging the pads since I have never worked on bikes before. Now that I see you all do pretty much the same thing I'm good with that approach. Thanks all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that I have them off...

Yah, so it was extremely easy to get them off with a slight twist. However, now that I have them off and can see how they are assembled, I think I'll go with the pad removal from now on. Done and done. Thanks again.

·
øøøøº
1,312 Posts
I use a thick rag over the caliper,takes no extra time & no one gets scratched.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts