Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1998 Monster 750. Not sure why, but I like the way it sounds. :)

I want to get a new front tire, but the axle won't come out. I have no experience with this bike and could use some advice before I trash it any more than I have.

It has a 19mm allen fitting in the axle on the right side, which I thought meant it screwed out. The axle goes into a bushing on the left side. The fork pinch bolts clamp on this bushing on the left and the axle on the right. When I loosened the pinch bolts, I tried to unscrew the axle. When I did that I trashed the speedo, it rotated with the axle and ripped out the cable.

Does anyone know if this bushing on the left side is threaded or just a bushing. Is it part of the speedo? I can't tell if it is just corroded and frozen to the axle, or if it needs to be unscrewed. I don't want to just wail away on it with a drift....

Help would be appreciated! (And if anyone has a speedo cable I am in the market...)

·
Registered
451 Posts
It does just unscrew, the speedo drive was probable frozen to the axle but it should still unscrew, try spraying some penetrating oil on it and let it sit over night. If it unscrews from the bushing but still does not want to come out then try taping it with a brass punch, that way you wont damage the axle.

Frank

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I bought a 1998 Monster 750. Not sure why, but I like the way it sounds. :)

I want to get a new front tire, but the axle won't come out. I have no experience with this bike and could use some advice before I trash it any more than I have.

It has a 19mm allen fitting in the axle on the right side, which I thought meant it screwed out. The axle goes into a bushing on the left side. The fork pinch bolts clamp on this bushing on the left and the axle on the right. When I loosened the pinch bolts, I tried to unscrew the axle. When I did that I trashed the speedo, it rotated with the axle and ripped out the cable.

Does anyone know if this bushing on the left side is threaded or just a bushing. Is it part of the speedo? I can't tell if it is just corroded and frozen to the axle, or if it needs to be unscrewed. I don't want to just wail away on it with a drift....

Help would be appreciated! (And if anyone has a speedo cable I am in the market...)
Hey Bob I 'm pretty sure your front end is similar to my ST2, & I changed my front tyre just last Saturday so the job is fresh in my mind.
Firstly, note the position of the notches on the right hand side of the axle(the unthreaded side) and make sure it goes back in the same position.
Undo nut on left hand side 28mm socket, then undo 12mm axle bolts, 2 each side, undo calipers.
Get a piece of wooden dowel 25mm(old broom handle) & use as a drift to push axle out from left to right.
Pretty much the reverse to reassemble

Craig

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
516 Posts
OK, your forks are NOT the same as ST forks.

Wheel removal is as follows:

Loosen the two clamping allen bolts on the right hand fork. You can open the fork foot up abit with a screw driver to help things along.

Leave the two clamping allen bolts on the left fork done up tight. They clamp the threaded bush in to the fork foot. The bush has to stay still whilst you unscrew the axel so it has to remain clamped.

Remove the axel from the right with a LARGE allen key (I use a GM sump plug key on a ratchet).

You should be able to remove the axel and wheel like this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Bob I 'm pretty sure your front end is similar to my ST2, & I changed my front tyre just last Saturday so the job is fresh in my mind.
Firstly, note the position of the notches on the right hand side of the axle(the unthreaded side) and make sure it goes back in the same position.
Undo nut on left hand side 28mm socket, then undo 12mm axle bolts, 2 each side, undo calipers.
Get a piece of wooden dowel 25mm(old broom handle) & use as a drift to push axle out from left to right.
Pretty much the reverse to reassemble

Craig
Thank you!!!!
That took me longer than I wanted but with your help I got it ??

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
Do you own a torque wrench? If not buy a good one or two or three. I had a cheapy 1/4" one and it was the cause of stripping an important thread.
Do the whole job in your head before actually doing it. RESEARCH the job first. Ask here for advice before doing it. The friendly's here will gladly help a fella out. But make sure the advice is correct. Having problems? Sleep on it for a night. The answers may come to you. Pinchbolts are designed with specific torque values. Take pics before and during for reference. Signed bloody knuckles....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts