Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on a new tire along with Showa adjustable forks in place of the Marzochis. After going for a ride, I found my speedo drive had rotated due to binding. I have the threaded insert rather than the nut. I can't even snug the axle against the insert without the brgs. And speedo drive binding. I made sure the insert was flush on the inside of the fork leg. What am I doing wrong ? I know the axle was tight when I took the wheel off. What keeps the speedo drive in place? Is it supposed to float ? It seems like I'm binding the wheel brgs.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought there were two standard setups, you either thread the axle into a nut, or a threaded insert in the opposite fork, as I have. So, anyway, are you saying you simply take out all the play in the axle, then lock it into the forks with the four bolts at the bottom ?

·
Registered
836 Posts
normally the drive has slots on the fork it sits in. check that the speedo drive isn't different for those forks.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't verify as I bought the forks thru eBay . Supposed to be from a SP. There was nothing on the Marzochis to hold the drive in place, and there is nothing on the Showas, either. I know I had to break the axle loose when I removed the wheel. There is a torque value in the manual for the front axle, but it would bind if tightened. I locked the axle in place with the bolts on both legs, loctited. Went for a ride and all seemed good, but my speedo no longer works. I am guessing the location of the threaded insert locates the axle, because the axle tightens against it. I placed it flush with the inside of the fork leg, since I paid no attention to placement when I removed it from the old fork leg. Something just doesn't seem right, and the manual really doesn't explain it in depth. My setup doesn't seem to match the pictures exactly, either. They are of the axle nut setup, rather than the threaded insert I have.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
On both my SS/FE and 996 SBK forks on my track SS, the speedo drive acts as the left side spacer. There are no tabs to hold it in place. The axle threads into the nut in the left leg, which is held in place by the pinch bolts. Then the axle is tightened, the forks are pumped a few times to position the right fork, and then the right fork pinch bolts are tightened. Do the Marzocchis use the same speedo drive as the Showas? Pics might help.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The drive fit like a glove, and both old and new forks had nothing to hold the drive in place. I didn't pump the forks before tightening. Sounds like a good idea. Can't do pics right now, but your explanation sounds good to me. It makes logical sense,whereas the manual referred to an axle torque, and this would put the bearings and drive into a binding situation. Thanks a whole bunch !

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you have 25mm axle Showas:
One of the plastic fender mounts should have a tab on it to hold the speedo drive in place.

-M
ohhhhhh is that what that little nub is? I always wondered about that little nub. Either way it doesn't do much as I am running the speedo with different forks.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
20mm axle if I remember correctly. I didn't have any bits left over after fork swap. Speedo drive is staying put as long as I don't tighten the axle into the fork leg. Now I need to figure out what I broke when the drive rotated the cable into the caliper. If I need a new cable, is there any interchangeability between models, or do I need 91-97 SS ?

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
20mm axle if I remember correctly. I didn't have any bits left over after fork swap. Speedo drive is staying put as long as I don't tighten the axle into the fork leg. Now I need to figure out what I broke when the drive rotated the cable into the caliper. If I need a new cable, is there any interchangeability between models, or do I need 91-97 SS ?
The Wheel inner's have to match the speedo, take a pic of both parts and posted them up.

if you don't want to use the speedo i have a spacer you can have.

speedo hub should have just two nubbs that mesh with the wheel hub.

need pics

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
OK, after reading this again, I just want to make sure a couple of things are clear. The axle should be tight (47 ft lbs). The speedo drive is held in place from rotating by being pinched between the left fork and the inner race of the left side wheel bearing. There is no tab to keep it from rotating. If the wheel binds with the axle properly tightened, then the speedo drive does not match, or is interfering with the left side wheel bearing. Measure the diameters of the inner shoulder on the speedo drive and the inner race of the wheel bearing and see if they match. One important point: Ducati lists 2 part numbers for the speedometer "transmission" (drive to us). 4981001(or5)1A, and 49810071A for the CR. You may have a speedo drive that's not compatible.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's the thing, the drive, axle, wheel and threaded insert are the same that we're on my bike when I bought it, and worked fine til I FIXED it . I changed the fork legs and tire, and now it binds if tightened down. How is the threaded insert positioned in the leg ? I have it flush with the inner edge of the fork leg. I need to take it apart and start over, and I like to get opinions first. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.