Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdo!!

I have a 1994 Superlight fitted with the old style 3 spoke Marchesini wheels. Is it possible to fit bearings to accept the newer type 25mm axle? Looking into upgrading the front forks for a set of newer style radial set.

Cheers Pablo

·
Registered
48 Posts
The fork lowers dictate which axle you can use... yes, you can use your wheel... just need to change the bearings and spacer to accept the larger axle

·
Registered
231 Posts
You might be better off running a new/different lighter front wheel w/ the new forks. Im running 916 front wheel on my bike.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Absolutely possible but a pain in the ass. Don't forget about the speedo drive.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howdo!!!
Speedo is sorted as I have fitted sensor on the rear using the disc bolts as the pick offs.

Cheers Pablo

·
Registered
80 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think your current bearings are 20x47x14, the bearing that you require to have your wheel accept teh 25mm axle would be 25x47x12; that means that the new bearings are slightly thinner. Shouldn't be that hard to come up with a 2mm thick filling ring and a new bearing spacer.

After all, you were able to get a ST3 engine in your 900ss frame......

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think your current bearings are 20x47x14, the bearing that you require to have your wheel accept teh 25mm axle would be 25x47x12; that means that the new bearings are slightly thinner. Shouldn't be that hard to come up with a 2mm thick filling ring and a new bearing spacer.

After all, you were able to get a ST3 engine in your 900ss frame......
Actually, as far as I know, the spacers do not exist off the shelf. We are talking about a 47mm diameter washer that is 2 mm thick. The ID of the washer is something larger than 25 mm, obviously, probably more like 35 mm to clear the inside race of the new bearing. I'm going to make my own, so it will be a bit sloppy, but a machine shop could make two for $$. There is 1 (o.oo4") mm thick sheet stock as standard, but not 2 mm, at least here in America any way that I know about.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Howdo!!

I have a 1994 Superlight fitted with the old style 3 spoke Marchesini wheels. Is it possible to fit bearings to accept the newer type 25mm axle? Looking into upgrading the front forks for a set of newer style radial set.

Cheers Pablo
Yes you should be able to do it but the bearings might not be the same thickness and make the rotors not line up properly. The new bearings are 12 mm thick. I do not know the thickness of the old ones. Also if you are looking at radial calipers I am not sure the rotors are spaced the same and may have to be moved out. You would need to know how much your measurements changed and what size spacers or shims to have made. Just measure carefully and you can figure it out.

Jim

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I just had a couple of shims made by a local machinist for $30. Dimensions are 47 mm od, 42 mm id, 2 mm thick. I ordered some 6005 RS ABEC3+ bearings the other day as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts