Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took a two hour ride down the Alaska highway today (before winter sets in - Oct.). On the way home the bike had a slight vibration and the front end felt a bit lumpy - like I had a piece of tire missing. I slowed down, was riding between 140 and 165 kph. made it home to find that the rt. front bearing (when sitting on the bike) had been chewed up. Pulled the front tire off and checked the left one and it was very dry and knotchy. I removed the bearings inter and outer - found the replacement number - will check with bearing shop on Tuesday.

My question is: Is there only one dust cover for the wheel bearing on the left side (when sitting on the bike) and not the right? I didn't see one on the right but the bearing was completely chewed up so I am not sure if there was one there.

Thanks,

Mike,
'04 ST3; '75 Water Buffalo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill, I have the workshop manual, LT's book and a parts manual; however, it just seemed strange to me that there was only one grease seal. This is my first Ducati and given that the closest dealer is 2000 mile down the highway I wanted to be sure so I thought I would post a question here. I did prior search but did not see your previous post. Thanks for you assistance.

Mike

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have to replace mine every year due to water infiltration, I've gone through 3 sets now. I've read that the NTN brand bearings have better seals, so I'm going to give that a try next time. I'll probably be replacing them in the next couple months as I noticed them getting rough again a few hundred miles ago.

My 2004 ZX6E had the same design with no additional seals, but no problem with water infiltration. I'm not sure why I never had trouble with those but I do with these on the ST3.

·
Registered
523 Posts
yukonduc - You're welcome.

Superchkn - Odd that you've had to replace your front wheel bearings every year. The ones on my '05 ST3 are still looking OK. I carefully pry up the seals on them every year and check their condition and stuff a bit more grease in them. They still rotate smoothly without any binding or rough spots. I do the same thing with the rears too. Bike has about 42,000 miles so it isn't just sitting in the garage. We've also been through many days of wet and rainy riding.
Bill W.

·
Mr Leakered
8,837 Posts
A while back, I had a toasted bearing on my rear wheel. There's a pic of it in my gallery. While it was destorying itself, the seals were chewed up. The outter one was 'milled' down and the inner one was gone. The ball retainer inside came apart and was cutting at the seals.

Good luck.

·
Mr Leakered
8,837 Posts
I have to replace mine every year due to water infiltration, I've gone through 3 sets now. I've read that the NTN brand bearings have better seals, so I'm going to give that a try next time. I'll probably be replacing them in the next couple months as I noticed them getting rough again a few hundred miles ago.

My 2004 ZX6E had the same design with no additional seals, but no problem with water infiltration. I'm not sure why I never had trouble with those but I do with these on the ST3.
Again? You might want to have the alignment and axles looked at. I'm wondering if there is some condition that is ruining the seals and letting water in. You can check this at home with the tools noted in the Service Manual.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bearings should last longer.
its to bad even the big Mfgs will have plants in China and you won't know what your getting.I do 2000km a year of pretty nasty dirt biking and my fronts always last at least a year, usually two.
I always pry the covers off to check for grease, half the time there is none.
As mentioned something else is causing premature failure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greetings, just a quick update. I was able to buy replacement bearings locally. I was surprised how inexpensive and easy they were to R & R compared to my old R100RS. I think that I will just add this to the routine when I have to install new tires. This might be a bit over kill but it is easy maintenance. Thanks again for your collective assistance.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts