Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While conducting maintenance today on my ST4s I noticed that my front tire is installed in the opposite rotational direction recommended by manufacturer. Tire is an Avon Azara. Is this just an obvious installation mistake or could there be a reason for mounting the tire this way. I attached photo of tread pattern. Thanks, Craig

Attachments

·
7,733 Posts
While conducting maintenance today on my ST4s I noticed that my front tire is installed in the opposite rotational direction recommended by manufacturer. Tire is an Avon Azara. Is this just an obvious installation mistake or could there be a reason for mounting the tire this way. I attached photo of tread pattern. Thanks, Craig
Your wheel is in backwards maybe? The spacer goes on the left side. If not, take it back and have it put on the right way.

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Yeah, that sure looks backwards. I can think of no reason you'd want to do that on purpose. I'd probably spring for a new set. How old are those tires?

Couldn't be the rim backwards on his bike due to the mechanical speedo drive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tires look almost new (front and rear) purchased the bike used so front must have been installed wrong. Front rim is installed with correct rotation (there are arrows point in the correct rotation). I'll pull wheel and bring to dealer to remount front tire. I was thinking maybe there was some logic to mounting it in an opposite direction but it looks like a screw up.

Time to use that Pit Bull Hybrid front stand and 25 mm axle alignment tool!

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
No. Tires should always follow the MFGer's requirements. The rotation direction is to maximize braking traction.

Have a good one.

·
7,733 Posts
...Couldn't be the rim backwards on his bike due to the mechanical speedo drive.
Ahh, I see. It's hard to wrap my head around the use of speedo cables on a *2002* model. :eek: I thought they stopped in 2000. :)

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
The speedo change happened with the 2004+ models and the new dash.

Have a good one.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Looks like a PO did a bad DIY job fitting the tire.
You're doing the right thing getting it switched as it looks new enough not to have suffered any inappropriate wear issues.

·
Registered
998 Posts
You live in Virginia, rain - snow etc., particularly front tires are designed to provide traction in wet weather. That works by siping water from the surface between the tire and the asphalt. Yours is backwards, not functioning correctly at all, a bad thing. the design is directional, get it?
A few other issues are also involved, but this is the major one in my mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts