Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I need to remove the wheels from my 2002 ST4S. I've never owned a commercial front stand. For my VFR800 (the bike I owned the longest), I built one from 2x4s and lag bolts. It took a little front end manipulation but it worked perfectly, and was dead cheap to build.

I'm thinking about a Pit Bull for my Duc. They say always use with a rear stand. How true is that? The front is pricey enough and I'm not buying both. If I put the bike on the center stand and remove the rear wheel, any reason I can't use the front stand solo?

Thanks in advance.

Aram

·
Registered
355 Posts
I recently purchased a front head lift stand because I wanted to service my forks and replace my tyre. I did use it with a rear stand but reckon it would work ok if you remove the rear tyre like you said.

·
Super Moderator
5,451 Posts
I started with a PitBull rear stand and would hang the front from my garage ceiling joists. After dealing with that for a few seasons, I bought the PitBull front stand. I did attempt to lift the front with the bike on its center stand. Picks the bike right up off the center stand. :eek: I guess the PitBull instructions are correct!

I never tried removing the rear wheel first and then using the front...I agree with what Turbomart says...should work if the rear wheel is off first.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have only the front stand also, works fine with rear wheel off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started with a PitBull rear stand and would hang the front from my garage ceiling joists. After dealing with that for a few seasons, I bought the PitBull front stand. I did attempt to lift the front with the bike on its center stand. Picks the bike right up off the center stand. :eek: I guess the PitBull instructions are correct!

I never tried removing the rear wheel first and then using the front...I agree with what Turbomart says...should work if the rear wheel is off first.
I have only the front stand also, works fine with rear wheel off.
I recently purchased a front head lift stand because I wanted to service my forks and replace my tyre. I did use it with a rear stand but reckon it would work ok if you remove the rear tyre like you said.
Thanks to all of you!

Aram

·
Registered
939 Posts
For bikes with a center stand you don't need a front stand to lift the front end. All you need is a wide 5 foot long board. Park the bike using the center stand on the board with the rear wheel over the board and the front wheel off the board. Take a tie down or rope and tie the back wheel down to the board. The front wheel will now be off the ground high enough to remove the front wheel.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have both front and rear PitBull lifts. The front lift is a little bit of adventure when lifting off the center stand, but not treacherous enough to scare me. I employ a friend to help me lift and lower, as it's really just on the rear wheel when lifted.
I think both front and rear lifts are well worth having in the garage.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
413 Posts
I take both wheels off every time I need tires ( 2yrs ave) .... eye hooks in floor .... bike goes up on center stand , then balance bike with straps to hooks , not a very big deal and cheap ! .... usually set 3/4 scrap plywood piece under stand to give a little extra breathing room .... also it is a solo job ....

·
Registered
355 Posts
I use to use ratchet straps from the ceiling to the handlebars to get the front tyre off but the headlift stand is 10x easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts