Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Vortex front stand that I used on my SV when I had it. I'd like to keep the stand, since it works well, but need the correct pin size to fit the hole under the lower triple on the Sport 1000.

Does anyone know what the size of that hole is, or even better, what pin size I'll need to buy from Vortex?

Oh, and their website is useless, BTW. :p

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Thanks, but I'd like to avoid buying an entirely new stand.

Might be able to use that chart to cross reference to another bike that Vortex has listed though.

:eek:

Oh... I see what you did there. :p
exactly:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
This seems to be a reoccurring theme!

I have a generic headstock stand. The largest pin I have for it is 20mm. The interior diameter of the sport classic is 28mm, which is ridiculous. So, does anyone have a picture of the Pitbull adapter so that I can see if it would work on my current stand?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I used a 18mm (I think) with a bronze drill bushing. Works perfectly and allowed me to fine-tune just how much lift I get.

/M

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts

I have a generic headstock stand. The largest pin I have for it is 20mm. The interior diameter of the sport classic is 28mm, which is ridiculous. So, does anyone have a picture of the Pitbull adapter so that I can see if it would work on my current stand?
PitBull std pin is 19mm diameter, #1 adapter adds 2.25mm overall, making it 21.25mm diameter.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1382130000.271910.jpg
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1382130013.975655.jpg
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1382130025.921464.jpg

BTW, the dents in the adapter pin show the softness of the metal.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
594 Posts
i had the same problem with my inexpensive front stand.
I took the biggest pin that the stand came with, then inserted over it a section of Harley handlebar. Next, I put tape around the bottom of the two pieces and filled the gap between them with JB Weld and let it set. (The tape was there to keep the epoxy from oozing down).
It fits nice and tight now. It's still easy to insert into the hole, but holds the bike very firmly. It works better than I expected. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Piece of 3/4 inch heater hose is 19mm internal and 27mm ext. slips over the existing front stand Pin, fits nicely into stem. Soft surface keeps from marring the stem.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I have a generic headstock stand. The largest pin I have for it is 20mm. The interior diameter of the sport classic is 28mm, which is ridiculous.
I bought recently ConStands from bs-motoparts page. After selecting a model and year, the page displays matching items. Unfortunately, both stands do not fit into my Sport Classic.
The rear stand is too narrow. I had to bend the pipe to fit.
Front stand has a set of 5 pins, but they are too small. I had to buy a larger - size 27mm. Unfortunately they do not have pin 28mm, that would be perfect. After contact with the shop and report a bug, they still recommend these stands for Sport Classic 1000! Watch out for this page.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have one of these:

Motorcycle Front HeadLift Stand (Head Lift) from MJ Moto Gear

with the largest pin they have which is 27mm. $70 delivered. It's ever so slightly loose in the head but works just fine and I think a 28mm would bind. The bike is solid when elevated. Careful of your front fender when putting the bike up as there is little clearance. And it's pretty easy to measure the hole in the head with a vernier caliper. If you don't have one you should. Even a cheapie digital one from Harbor Freight is a very handy tool to have in your arsenal.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I also have come to this problem, The hole is huge! compared to my 900ss..

I have the Sport 1000s and even with the larger pin, I cannot raise the bike without cracking the headlight. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to machine a pin with a lower section that help increase the height to raise the bike up? much like the image all the way to the left..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts