Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Yes and maybe. It only took one ride to realize that it was geared really tall. Taking off from a stop was a chore and the gearing was pretty wide by ratio. Likewise, 6th gear was pretty much unusable because you would have to be doing 80 MPH before even shifting into it.

Now, going down one tooth in the front, taking off is much easier, 6th gear is much more usable, all of the gears are just a bit closer together so shifting from one to the next keeps you in the power and I can still do 130 MPH if I need to. It's a worthwhile mod for sure.

I'm sure the 950 is the same as the 939 as far as gearing goes, and you will feel the benefit as well.

Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes and maybe. It only took one ride to realize that it was geared really tall. Taking off from a stop was a chore and the gearing was pretty wide by ratio. Likewise, 6th gear was pretty much unusable because you would have to be doing 80 MPH before even shifting into it.

Now, going down one tooth in the front, taking off is much easier, 6th gear is much more usable, all of the gears are just a bit closer together so shifting from one to the next keeps you in the power and I can still do 130 MPH if I need to. It's a worthwhile mod for sure.

I'm sure the 950 is the same as the 939 as far as gearing goes, and you will feel the benefit as well.

Dave
Thanks Dave! :)

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
On some bikes, my SS being one, when you go to a 14 front the chain gets close to other things , so going Bigger in back is safer for the bike. Unfortunately that means a new chain . I tried one down in front, liked it, so at chain time I went up 4 in back and went back to stock 15 in front. Some people claim chain life is affected by going smaller in front, more bending of the links.

·
Super Moderator
5,456 Posts
Have you tried this site:

You can play around with different ratios and see the effects.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
On some bikes, my SS being one, when you go to a 14 front the chain gets close to other things , so going Bigger in back is safer for the bike. Unfortunately that means a new chain . I tried one down in front, liked it, so at chain time I went up 4 in back and went back to stock 15 in front. Some people claim chain life is affected by going smaller in front, more bending of the links.
This is 100% true and I intend on going up 3 teeth in the rear and back to stock 15 tooth sprocket in the front when I change my chain and sprockets next. Due to the tighter radius in the front with the smaller sprocket, that will be sooner rather than later, BUT, the 14 tooth sprocket is NOT A VERY RADICAL bend for a chain. My reason is to keep the chain from rubbing on the swingarm pivot guide, just before the sprocket.

I might get through he season the way I am, but come fall, I'll probably change the chain and sprockets.

Dave

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
My Supersport was transformed when changing from 15/40 to 15/43.
I tried 14/40 which is essentially the same ratio as 15/43.
Being a bit of a maths nerd, I decided that15/43 was better for two reasons.
15 teeth would do less work than 14 teeth.
43 is a prime number, so the chain rollers would have less chance of repeating the same teeth front and rear.
Haven't done the maths, but seems logical o me. Not that obsessed thankfully

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have seen a few videos and wright ups talking about gear changing and manufacturers expectations . From whatni have read, Ducati was one of those companies that sell their bikes geared tall for regulations and other reasons (don't know the exact reasons) and expect/encourage you to change gearing to get the most out of them. I believe "MC Garage" addresses this.
That being said, I have gone down 1 tooth (now a 14) front sprocket on my 821 hyper. It makes the bike far more exciting but my top speed has dropped by like 10mph. Not that big of deal because most of my time is spent on the city but just something to note. Also, that Gear commander website is amazing. If you haven't gone to it yet you should. It has so much info including graphs, tops speed in each gear with whatever gears you select plus a ton of other info. Pay attention to the tiny tabs and what not. They are easy to miss. It will even tell you chain length for each gear change desired and give a side by side graph for OEM vs your custom desire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts