Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm replacing the front sprocket as part of a chain replacement and came to installing the front sprocket. According to the manual, the extruded side is supposed to go closest to the engine but there is no way I can get the sprocket onto the shaft past the frame. Same with the old sprocket. And I'm not convinced it could have come off that way round either.

I could do with some advice here...

EDIT: I think I could get the sprocket on by alternately tapping it with a rubber mallet and rotating it. But I'm not sure I could get it off again. And in case you're wondering, I pulled the original sprocket several days ago but ran out of time to finish the job and know it wasn't a pain to remove.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Muttering to myself...

Here is a thread with a photo of a 2015 that seems to show the front sprocket the "wrong" way around: https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/front-sprocket.35869/

And a different blog post for a 2011 that shows it the "right" way around: European Motorcycle Diaries: Changing Chain & Sprockets on a Ducati Multistrada 1200

Per my signature, mine is a 2014. The extruded side of the sprocket is the better part of 1cm so I'm inclined to say that this will make a difference to chain alignment over the sprocket.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Closing this thread out: my front sprocket, according to the manual and the tech who looked it up, is now mounted the wrong way around with the shoulder facing out.

First, it would not go on the gearbox layshaft the “correct” way around; second if it did, the chain would hit the clutch slave, third the chain would probably rub the frame and finally it wouldn’t be coming off in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts