Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I'm going to do this 14T front sprocket change that seems to be all the rage with the kids nowadays.

Can I do this without cutting the chain off? Just loosen it up enough to slip the chain off, and I'm good? Or will I have to break out the Dremel and my rivet too? :confused:

Also, where can I order the service manual for the S1k? I've heard it's in CD format (PDF's I guess), but searching for that is like trying to find Jimmy Hoffa. :( Just wanna make sure I get my torque specs right and such.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
loosen rear wheel, slide forward, loosen chain , swap sprockets, move wheel back , tghten things back up

·
Premium Member
629 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Be aware that some front sprocket nuts are put on stoopid tight on these bikes. Others are not so bad. In my case, a 6' breaker bar would not loosen it, nor would an electric impact wrench. Had to go to the local mechanic, and even he was surprosed how high he had to set the impact gun to spin it off.

It is a stupid design. The two little screws holding a retaining plate as used on the SS worked fine. There is no reason for that much torque - the sprocket is splined to the shaft, and can't come off the shaft with the chain on no matter what. Truly a solution looking for a problem.

Hopefully you have no issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Be aware that some front sprocket nuts are put on stoopid tight on these bikes. Others are not so bad. In my case, a 6' breaker bar would not loosen it, nor would an electric impact wrench. Had to go to the local mechanic, and even he was surprosed how high he had to set the impact gun to spin it off.

It is a stupid design. The two little screws holding a retaining plate as used on the SS worked fine. There is no reason for that much torque - the sprocket is splined to the shaft, and can't come off the shaft with the chain on no matter what. Truly a solution looking for a problem.

Hopefully you have no issue.
i agree with YD, i used a torch to get the job done:(
you also have to remove the plastic swingarm protector but that's a minor detail.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey Tilt,

What are you looking to accomplice by changing the sprocket?

1. Shorter Shifiting
2. More pull around town
3. Smooth out the lumpy Twin

If you like the tall gearing, and just hope to smooth out the lumpiness then I would just put a Fat Duc O2 manipulator on. I have a 14t installed now and am looking to put my 15T back as I am not crazy about the shorter shifting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can help you

Hi Mr Tilt:

I moved to Richmond 2 months ago and I've got a 2006 Yellow Sport 1000.

I already swapped my sprocket (15T now a 14T) with good driveability improvements. Loosening the existing sprocket was easy with my 1/2" air impact wrench. I also have the manual for my model year with all the torque specs, etc.

I'd be happy to help you with this task, and I've got a very complete workshop in my 3-car garage (no cars allowed, however). Just ride up and we can easily do the swap.

BTW I've also installed the FatDuck O2 manipulator and still making adjustments.

Right now I am enroute to China where I work about 10-12 days each month. I'll be back home on 10-19.

Let me know if this makes sense for you. Stuart

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Tilt,

What are you looking to accomplice by changing the sprocket?

1. Shorter Shifiting
2. More pull around town
3. Smooth out the lumpy Twin

If you like the tall gearing, and just hope to smooth out the lumpiness then I would just put a Fat Duc O2 manipulator on. I have a 14t installed now and am looking to put my 15T back as I am not crazy about the shorter shifting.
I am hoping to smooth out the throttle a bit, but didn't figure the sprocket would help. As it is now, I do most my riding in 1st through 4th. Rarely 5th. I think I've shifted into 6th twice. What I'd really like to do is put a larger sprocket on the rear, just because I like the looks of a large sprocket. However, that would not only cost more, I'd have to modify the chain guard as well.

A smaller front sprocket seems like the easiest, and cheapest way to get the results I want.

Hi Mr Tilt:

I'd be happy to help you with this task, and I've got a very complete workshop in my 3-car garage (no cars allowed, however). Just ride up and we can easily do the swap.

Stuart
Hey Stuart.

I should be ok, but I appreciate the offer. I'm often in Richmond with some other friends I ride with, so I'll keep you in mind if I'm up that way riding.

I downloaded the manual, and I'm in the process of printing it out and puting it in a binder all nice and neat and tidy. My laptop has no battery, so I can't take it outside when I work on the bike. :(

·
Registered
300 Posts
Then the 14T will do exactly what you want. Good luck and have fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts