Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of someone who makes a front sprocket thats a "gold"-ish color? I figure if I'm going to go 14T... why not do it with some STYLE. :eek:

I'm not looking for a really shiny gold... just maybe a matte finish or even bronze color. Something to make the front sprocket stand out a bit from behind the guard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you can't source one in the specific color you desire, you can buy whatever brand you prefer and have it anodized. You can then select your color and finish, enabling you to have something bespoke.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Front sprockets are usually steel (for reasons of safety / strength), so anodizing won't work on that. In fact, very little besides paint will work. Even then, it's going to get ground off anyway / covered in chain slop.

Better to put up for a gold-ish sprocket cover, or fastening hardware. And be sure to install a case-saver when you do the swap.

Speedymoto makes one that comes in clear or black anodized with the cover in gold.

·
Registered
603 Posts
This is the Rizoma silver cover I think they also make it in gold. True - no anodize on steel. You can aredoite it but it would have to be stripped first then done, a little pricey, why not find a cover You like, and call it a day?

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Case saver? ???

I like the SpeedyMoto cover better. I thought I remember that on their site, they didn't have them yet though... they were still "in development". I could be wrong though.

So I guess there aren't any brands out there that have a goldish/bronze tint to them? I don't want to anodize, paint, or color in any way. The bike is an everyday rider, so I don't see that as being practical. But if I could get one right out of the box that's "pre colored", it would be a plus.

I'm really just thinking out loud here... please excuse. :p

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Case saver? ???

I like the SpeedyMoto cover better. I thought I remember that on their site, they didn't have them yet though... they were still "in development". I could be wrong though.

So I guess there aren't any brands out there that have a goldish/bronze tint to them? I don't want to anodize, paint, or color in any way. The bike is an everyday rider, so I don't see that as being practical. But if I could get one right out of the box that's "pre colored", it would be a plus.

I'm really just thinking out loud here... please excuse. :p
I've never seen a colored front sprocket. Sometimes you can find one made in a higher-carbon steel that is a bit brighter than standard, but not in colors. Higher-carbon = more brittle, however.

For the color not to get eaten away as the chain goes around it, the color would have to be part of the base metal, and not a coating. Generally, to get a color, you add impurities, exactly what you don't want for a structural component that needs strength.

As for the case saver, it is a steel insert that goes under the sprocket cover, and hugs the front radius of the case by the gear.

Two members in the last month have had engine cases ruined as a result of chain malfunctions. It's very pricey to get a new case + labor. The case savers are cheap insurance that will protect the engine in case the chain decides to go on holiday.

Two places that sell them are Desmotimes, and Cox Racing:

http://www.desmotimes.com/product70.htm

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT110029/it.A/id.759/.f?sc=2&category=1028

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy crap! Do the stock chains have a tendency to catostrophically fail like that? Even after routine maintenance? When my chain got old on the SV, it would start to "stretch" a bit, and kink, but I never heard of anyone's chain suddenly snapping... unless, of course, they never cleaned or lubed their chain.

Anyway, back to the topic. I've found a link/photo that might solve my problem, or at the very least, convey to you folks what I've got going on in my brain. :p

This link:

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/308702/afam-525-countershaft-sprocket---ducati.html

Shows the AFAM brand sprockets for my bike. As you can see from the photo, the middle sprocket has a gold-ish tint to it. Obviously from the material it's made from... I think/hope.

Here's the pic for the folks who don't want to click on the link:

I have no idea if this is just a stock photo, or if those are actually different AFAM sprockets.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
From the photo it looks like Zinc Chromate on the sprocket. If so, it will wear off after a few thousand miles.

Sorry, but chemistry and physics are not kind in this case.

I do wonder if TiN would hold up under chain duty, or if it would fracture.

Edit: I found a science link that says for gears that don't run dry, TiN will double the life expectancy of the part. It will still wear down, however.

So, maybe TiN is a possibility, but it would get chipped off the teeth after a while.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Really? Is anything consumer-oriented still cad plated?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Holy crap! Do the stock chains have a tendency to catostrophically fail like that? Even after routine maintenance?
It's seldom from a "good" chain just breaking. Usually it's from the chain jumping the sprocket. This can be caused by: Letting it get too loose, too worn, or chain tensioners or axle nut coming loose or failing. It's VERY rare to have a chain just fail without some part of the maintenance having been ignored or done incorrectly, but nothing is impossible.

Really? Is anything consumer-oriented still cad plated?
Yeah, but not a lot. It's mostly just yellow zinc now. I don't know how much cadmium stuff is still being done and how much is just leftover old stock. There's nothing wrong with the plated products themselves for the consumer, it's the process that creates the ecological and safety problems.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I simply thought that cad plating was relegated to aerospace and military uses now.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Case saver? ???

http://www.speedymoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SC

Here they are. I know that there are a few here that have them so I don't think you would have any problems getting them.

EDIT-I do see that on the site it says pre-order but I suspect that is a typo or maybe they are back ordered. Send them an email, they usually are quite good about getting back quickly.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alrighty.

Thanks for all the replies. Over and over again, I'm seeing that the bad reputation of the people on Ducati.ms is nothing but a pile of horseshit. :D

Looks like trying to find a sprocket with the right color is just going to be hit and miss. And if I do end up with one, it won't last. Oh well. I won't lose any sleep over it.

I'll e-mail SM and see if they have those covers in stock. If they do, I may order one after the holidays.

Thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts