Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone !

I'm looking for a front manifold (Malossi) to install on the front
head of my 750cc engine that will be fit in a TT frame.

The one I have for pantah/f1 seems to be slightly to long
and gives an angle that brings the carburator (phm 40) in
either the rear cylinder and the bottom tube of the frame.

So, if anybody know want or have one for sale that would be
most welcomed.

Alternatively, a pattern of the manifold could help me trying to
re-arrange the one I have

thanks
André

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Andre, As far as I know the front Malossi manifold is the same for all the Ducati models. The 40 PHM is a pretty large carb and if it is the old style with the 14mm drain you will probably never get it to fit. You will at least need the later style float bowl with the large 24mm? drain plug.On fitting Mikunis to my 900 belt model I ran into much the same problem with the bowl fouling the engine cases.I got around it by making a spacer to go between the manifold and the head that was about 9mm thick and raised the carb enough to clear. I also had a problem with the carb overflowing due to the angle of tilt and didn't want to run the float level too low and starve at high revs so I ended up cutting and rewelding the manifold to flatten the angle a bit.But that may not be needed with the Dellortos

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Andre,

If you get into a pinch with this I can make up one for you if you send me a nicely dimensioned drawing. PM me when you get it worked out. ( We have a new milling machine at work and.....).

b.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your reply -

I thought that all the malossi manifolds were the same for the
Ducati models, but it seems that there are some differences -
unfortunately I dont have the "different" one to compare,but
was confirmed that the one I'm looking for is definitely shorter.

But looking through a lot of pictures on the net, I see a lot of 40 phm
installed and looks stricky but it fit...Indeed I have the 14mm drain but
cant recall the 24mm one :confused: Will look around if I can found one
to compare. I also have a pair of Mikuni (single) and it was already nearly
impossible with the dellortos, but with the Mikuni it's a joke and on top of
that they look not very old school right -

Rgds
André

Andre, As far as I know the front Malossi manifold is the same for all the Ducati models. The 40 PHM is a pretty large carb and if it is the old style with the 14mm drain you will probably never get it to fit. You will at least need the later style float bowl with the large 24mm? drain plug.On fitting Mikunis to my 900 belt model I ran into much the same problem with the bowl fouling the engine cases.I got around it by making a spacer to go between the manifold and the head that was about 9mm thick and raised the carb enough to clear. I also had a problem with the carb overflowing due to the angle of tilt and didn't want to run the float level too low and starve at high revs so I ended up cutting and rewelding the manifold to flatten the angle a bit.But that may not be needed with the Dellortos

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi Bevel450,

I wish I had one of these to make the modifications to the one I have.

rgds
André

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Andre, The float bowls as used on the later 80's model Dellorto carbs are the ones with the larger nuts. I'm not too sure of the size but 24mm is close.The difference is the larger nut is not as deep and affords a bit more clearance off the bottom of the carb.The Allazura models and many Guzzis used them. If you are going for the old school look you must fit the incredibly sexy Malossi's with the large polished bellmouth that sucks in children and small dogs as you go past!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just measured the bolts and it's 21mm so I should have the
"shorter" version here a picture

so I will definitely look after a front manifold pattern :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts