Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am mostly finished rebuilding the second '14 MTS that I purchased that I purchased totalled. Took it for a little ride today and realized that the forks are not functioning. I have been looking in both the shop manual and here for any input on why there would be no travel at all to no avail. Does anyone have any input on this? I tried all 4 of the riding modes. The rear seems to be functioning correctly. No engine light is on. Are there any Skyhook suspension gurus out there?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am by no means a SkyHook (or even other) suspension expert, however I recently did a fork seal and oil change on mine, there really isn't much to see inside the top of them even when separated to replace the seal; they are much like other USD forks and the springs would seem to do most of the work.

The electronics are only in the left leg and handle compression/rebound damping only and it was not clear to me exactly how that might work. The right leg is just a normal fork and has the preload on the fork cap. Aside from checking that they aren't bent, I think I'd start with preload and check whether it has been set to maximum (fully turned in) and is thus reducing fork movement. Beyond that, I'd pull the legs one by one, starting with the right one, and see if you can compress them when they are off the bike. If not, then I'd probably at least pull the fork cap, drain the oil and take a look.

Unfortunately, pulling the legs is a bit of journey, see the fork seal thread for the steps I went through.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
When the bike is off, the fork is very stiff. Only when the bike is on does it work. I'd check the wiring first, hopefully it is something easy.

t_bare

·
Registered
665 Posts
These forks are easily damaged. I had a friend in a mild crash and his forks were stiffened also. They had to be replaced.... So I think your forks are damaged by the accident.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These forks are easily damaged. I had a friend in a mild crash and his forks were stiffened also. They had to be replaced.... So I think your forks are damaged by the accident.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
I covered this in another thread...the right tube was indeed damaged and according to several who have looked at it cannot be straightened, so I am on the lookout for another one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts