Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have Ohlins FG511 front fork. Whats the secret to remove the seal? Tried gently prying, pulling, cussing. is there a special puller or other tool? I guess I'm looking at dropping a bag of parts off at the dealer and having them rebuild. All because the damn seal won't pop out. help appreciated

Bike is a 2008 1098S if that helps

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I use a heat gun around the seal area and then pry (gently) with a large flat head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Greetings guys, my fg511s are leaking as well. My dealer gave me a kit with 48mm seals. Which is the correct size, 43 or 48mm. Thanks in advance. Danny

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
Greetings guys, my fg511s are leaking as well. My dealer gave me a kit with 48mm seals. Which is the correct size, 43 or 48mm. Thanks in advance. Danny
Hi Danny,
Don't take this question the wrong way, but how have you discerned the measurement?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Danny,
Don't take this question the wrong way, but how have you discerned the measurement?
WR, i checked the packaging looking for a reference to Fg511. There was no reference, only a label with "seal kit 48mm FF". I was able to speak to their tech, he mentioned two kits for the superbikes: a 43 and a 48. Before I dive in, I want to make sure I have the correct parts.

·
comrade moderator
26,772 Posts
Measure the lower fork leg - the slider. I would imagine they're 48mm.

As far as removing the seal, Google Ohlins Fork Seal Removal for some Youtube vids.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
43mm. mts1200 are 48, nothing else is afaik. you can get street tension dust scrapers too. seals OP4720-02, scrapers OP4721-03.

i use a big flat blade screw driver, but i also put a plastic disc over the top of the tube to protect it. ohlins seals usually come out quite nicely. if you do heat it, don't go too hot as anodised parts often get a crazed surface finish to them if they got too hot.

put a very light smear of oil on the seal outer before fitting and they'll usually go in by hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
43mm. mts1200 are 48, nothing else is afaik. you can get street tension dust scrapers too. seals OP4720-02, scrapers OP4721-03.

i use a big flat blade screw driver, but i also put a plastic disc over the top of the tube to protect it. ohlins seals usually come out quite nicely. if you do heat it, don't go too hot as anodised parts often get a crazed surface finish to them if they got too hot.

put a very light smear of oil on the seal outer before fitting and they'll usually go in by hand.
thanks BB, ill switch them out. I knew i had a problem when the tech wasnt sure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts