Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went off roading with my GS friends...now my right fork is leaking pretty good. Is this a normal issue with the front fork seals? Is there any trick I can try before spending $500 to replace seals?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mark--I created this video a few years ago and can say that the Seal Mate works good to clean out dirty seals. In fact, I have used my tool twice in the last year with good results on my 848.

Some people use old 35mm film instead. If it's just a dirty seal this should clean it out and keep you on the road longer. However, eventually you will need to renew the seals especially if you're off-roading...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Right front seems to be built to leak, I don't know why but I've seen it MANY threads.

Anyway, I second the seal mate, fixed my seal with it back in August and she's still good to go.

·
Registered
104 Posts
seal tool

i have had one of those for years and carrier it with me on the machine, has saved a few rides over the years

·
Registered
869 Posts
This is a thought, with no scientific proof and I have stayed at Holiday Inn before:

I think the forks have compression in the left leg and rebound in the right.

The reason I believe that the right fork leaks is when the forks are compressing, when a bump is hit, the left leg is resisting the compression, which is where the compression valving is, but as there is no load on the right leg, it twists a little. Over time I believe this does the right leg seal in.

The rebound stoke does not put the same load on the left leg.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it, until someone smarter proves my theory as Bullsh!t.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Welcome to the club. It's always the R/H fork seal. I had mine fixed through my extended warranty.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My DVT from 2015 had a leaking seal on the left side.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
i have had one of those for years and carrier it with me on the machine, has saved a few rides over the years
Same here. Keep one under the seat with a few tools on trips. I also have one of the Seal Doctor 'tools' that I keep in the toolbox in the garage. I use it periodically to clean the seals on the dualsport. It's a bit sturdier than the Sealmate.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Welcome to the club. It's always the R/H fork seal. I had mine fixed through my extended warranty.
My dealer told me that fork seals were not covered under warranty? He said it's like tires and they need to be replaced over time. In my head I called bullshit, and bought a seal-mate which bought me time.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My dealer told me that fork seals were not covered under warranty?
I got the same information from my dealer when they replaced my right fork leg seal. They said the warranty of fork seals was 12 months, I got mine replaced at 9 months, so I didn't pay. Scott just got his done free at just under two years, so who knows.....

·
Registered
592 Posts
I used a piece of plastic from a 1 gallon milk jug cut to the same shape as the seal mate , worked great and no cost or waiting for delivery .

Reactions: xx848xx

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is a thought, with no scientific proof and I have stayed at Holiday Inn before:

I think the forks have compression in the left leg and rebound in the right.

The reason I believe that the right fork leaks is when the forks are compressing, when a bump is hit, the left leg is resisting the compression, which is where the compression valving is, but as there is no load on the right leg, it twists a little. Over time I believe this does the right leg seal in.

The rebound stoke does not put the same load on the left leg.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it, until someone smarter proves my theory as Bullsh!t.
I'm not smarter by any means but my evidence led me to a different conclusion. First, the service manual says the right fork has a damper rod in it and must be pumped to remove all of the oil when servicing the fork. Second, only the left fork has electronics in it so I assumed that both rebound and compression damping was handled primarily by the left leg (so I assumed that the damper rod in the right leg is just a nominal amount to "help out" the left leg).

My 2015 has blown the right seal twice in 33,000 kms. The second time it blew I decided to spend the money on tools instead of on the service since this is starting to seem like it's going to need regular replacing. I think it actually came out cheaper and was a much easier job than I anticipated.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My 2015 has blown the right seal twice in 33,000 kms. The second time it blew I decided to spend the money on tools instead of on the service since this is starting to seem like it's going to need regular replacing. I think it actually came out cheaper and was a much easier job than I anticipated.
Can you expound on the tools you purchased to change the seals? Fork oil type and brand? I'll assume a seal driver and top nut tool. I'm looking at getting ready to do mine in the future.
Cheers
Stevo

·
Registered
218 Posts
I also have one of the Seal Doctor 'tools' that I keep in the toolbox in the garage. I use it periodically to clean the seals on the dualsport. It's a bit sturdier than the Sealmate.
I hadn't hear of that tool yet... are you talking about the Risk Racing one? I went over and checked out their website, and will add one of these to my garage toolbox as well. It does look much sturdier than the Seal Mate, but fairly bulky to take on a ride... Thanks for the lead!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Can you expound on the tools you purchased to change the seals? Fork oil type and brand? I'll assume a seal driver and top nut tool. I'm looking at getting ready to do mine in the future.
Cheers
Stevo
I ordered the top cut tool from a UK seller on eBay. This one has the cable notch in it in case I need to open up the left fork someday. It's plastic and the first time I tried it, it slipped on the fork nut. I put a zip tie around it which helped to stiffen it up.

DUCATI MULTISTRADA 1200 SACHS FORKS CAP SOCKET TOOL OEM EQUIV 887134303

Then from the dealer I ordered the seating tool. Part number is 887133204. I think this tool was about $100 CDN.

The seal kit came from the dealer as well. One kit includes two seals.

Fork oil was whatever brand my dealer had in stock - it may have been Belray. The repair manual specifies 7.5 wt but my dealer only had 7 wt in stock. I wasn't too picky on what oil I used so I just bought a bottle of what they had. You'll need 660cc +/- 5cc of oil for a completely drained right-hand fork leg.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My right seal leaked at 14 months. Told only covered for 12 months. Wrote Ducati an email and then got a phone call from Ducati. They covered the parts but not the labor. Going to buy a Motion Pro Seal Cleaner.

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Not that the amount makes that much difference, but the Seal Mate on the Motion Pro site is cheaper if you buy it from the source. And you get to pick the color.

Fix Leaking Fork Seals With | SealMate.net
I got it even cheaper from an independent dirt bike shop.:laugh: I was on a trip in Lower East Bumfuck when one seal sprang a gusher. Stopped into this mom and pop place on a whim, and they had them. $5 bucks even, including tax. The seal didn't leak again for almost 2 years.

I have reached the conclusion that the warranty coverage on fork seals is whatever the dealer wants it to be. The three times I've had seals replaced on Ducs have always been covered, no hassles. All at different dealerships.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry I have been slammed at work and not online. Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts