Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps

any idea what you guys are running for static sag on the Hypermotard s with the black marzochis..

I'm running 30mm at the moment but feel it's a bit hard so am about to loosen off.

Don't tell me about rider sag or weight or oil or conversions ta...just the base line static sag.

Ta Karl

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I think you will find 40-45 mm to be more to your liking. This front end is like long travel on a dirt bike and sag is definitely more than typical for road bike. Search some threads, I posted my settings and they work pretty well. I don't recall all the numbers off hand.

Out!

·
Registered
592 Posts
It's hard as the back has normal travel numbers. I got the back sag set right then just balanced the front to get the turn in and Mid corner balance right.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've now put 8 turns from factory on the front and my sag is now 47 (I'm 100kg). Previously the sag was 57 felt horrible and bottomed out on on monos. I really like it now but that could just be because I'm getting used to the bike. I loosened the compression 1 turn to try and remove some of the harshness if that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
What is "static" sag?

There are 2 sag numbers and they seem to have a variety of names. One is with the rider off (unloaded) and one with the rider on (loaded)

For a plusher street ride the following should get you close. Do NOT mistake this for a track setting!

Find out your total fork travel, and try setting loaded sag at 1/3 of total. If your springs are right, unloaded sag should be about 1/2 of that.....

Then back off your compression damping to 1/2 of the recommended setting. If that's too bouncy, add 2 clicks at a time until you get where you want it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
8 turns in from factory seems high. I think I went four at one point and went back to 2 turns in or something like that. I suppose it all depends upon how much you weigh, etc. Everyone is going to be different.

Out!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
searching for a common base line

is never easy

that's why I asked about static...(unloaded) sag. The weight differential of different riders makes settings personal I know... :)

if we could set up a database of static sag plus rider weight then we'd have a variety of settings to try for easy set up...of at least preload no?

Although the rest is personal taste...road type tyres etc etc etc...

Just a thought...thanks for the responses .didn't i read somewhere that fork travel is 165 mm in total.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sag, both bike (static, no rider on bike) and rider (dynamic, rider on bike), is just to get you in the ballpark on springs, change it till it feels right. Just because sag is "correct" doesn't mean the bike will handle like you want it to.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Sag, both bike (static, no rider on bike) and rider (dynamic, rider on bike), is just to get you in the ballpark on springs, change it till it feels right. Just because sag is "correct" doesn't mean the bike will handle like you want it to.
Quite true, but on the other hand, I find that if you don't start with the 15% unloaded / 30% loaded ratio (or something close) baseline, all of the other "settings" seem pretty fruitless.

It's kind of like doing a tuneup without starting with setting the valve clearances first....

Just my personal experience....

·
Registered
592 Posts
real sag is imposible to set unless you know the relaxed preload of the top out spring. there is a good docco on the racetech website explaining it. the topout spring makes the cartridge longer so its hard to know unless you know the real measurements.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Don't tell me about rider sag or weight or oil or conversions ta...just the base line static sag.

Ta Karl
Well you are wasting yours and our time then, simple.

As long as you have the Marzshocking forks nothing will actually work the way it should as the spring is progressive and set up for 100 kg plus rider thus you will never get a static sag and rider sag to be fluid to the magic numbers.

50 mm static sag with rider for the front and 40 mm rear seems to be a good combo, adjust your compression and rebound to your liking.

Next step ..cheque book, Lindemans, Ohlins, Racetech etc that is the only way you will really improve on these forks, the cold hard truth.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sorry for jumping in with my dynamic sag figures, I should have noticed that the OP was only interested in static sag. I've been fiddling around for weeks and documenting my changes so when I saw someone else talking about sag I got excited and contributed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol

Isn't this site all about wasting time...

I'm taking it to http://www.maxton.netspinners.co.uk/ in the winter

but thought I'd just ask...I didn't ask about rider/dynamic sag cos it's all variables

I like the third then a half equation cos travel is about 185mm so a third is about 60mm and half that 30mm give or take...so I've reset my static from 30 to 35mm at the front...rear is set at 15mm static

pip pop

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
real sag is imposible to set unless you know the relaxed preload of the top out spring. there is a good docco on the racetech website explaining it. the topout spring makes the cartridge longer so its hard to know unless you know the real measurements.
Yes this is what maxton http://www.maxton.netspinners.co.uk/ said....they would have to measure it all before doing anything

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I like the third then a half equation cos travel is about 185mm c
Travel is 165 mm front and 141 rear, hence 1/3 front = 49.5, say 50 and rear 42.3 say 40.

Base it on 185 it you will be miles out, the travel is NOT the measured exposed stanchion.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Isn't this site all about wasting time...

I'm taking it to http://www.maxton.netspinners.co.uk/ in the winter

but thought I'd just ask...I didn't ask about rider/dynamic sag cos it's all variables

I like the third then a half equation cos travel is about 185mm so a third is about 60mm and half that 30mm give or take...so I've reset my static from 30 to 35mm at the front...rear is set at 15mm static

pip pop
you'll also be f-ed because you can't rework the front end due to poopness on ducati's part. currently only solution is racetech (going in tommorrow!!) maybe you can get a spring custom made but until they can get in the cartridge to measure the top out spring etc you'll never get it right. valving will still be shot.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
1/3 of 165 is 55, not 49.5

1/3 of 141 is 47, not 42.3

Tom
Bugga pushed .3 not .33, anyway, travel figures are still correct and 1/3 sag is miles off what karlr is talking about.

I have set mine up to 50 front and 40 rear as a balance between motard and street hence my figures, after all these are far more street than motard.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts