Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
916 Front end judder???????

Hi ive had my 916 for nearly 12 months and loving it more and more each time i ride it.
I am finding that under braking the front end seems to be shaking, It almost feels as if one side is shaper than the other?????
Any body that may be able to help suggestions will be much appreciated.
Trev916.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
If the judder is felt through the brake lever you could have a warped disc. Otherwise a likely culprit are the steering hear bearings. woorn head bearings will cause headshake under braking. Is this a new condition or has it been there for some time? Are your tires worn? The more information you can give the more suggestions.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It is probably a warped rotor but could be the tire. The tire may need replacing even though it doesnt look worn out. do you know how many miles are on the front tire?? Did the problem come on slowly or was it just all the sudden?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try setting a straight edge agaist the rotors. I had the same problem for a year on my zzr1200. Even if the straight edge doesn't show it could still be warped. Since it is up for sale I sent the rotors out to a shop that cut down the rotors on my track bike. Just put them on the other day and WOW - smooth as butter! :D If you need the guys contact info look through the link below - the cost was $50/rotor + 7 S/H He only advertises on the WERA board so you won't see him anywhere else - nice guy - great work too!

FYI: I had to replace the pads once my rotors got fixed.

read about it here: http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72706&highlight=wheel

·
Registered
107 Posts
"Pointy" tire?

When my Diablo's were pretty worn. The front was very pointy and the center grove that zig zags caused some cupping, that under hard breaking caused what could seem like a warped rotor. New tire and it went away. Also if you are grabbing downshifts hard the engine vibration trasferred through the bars can also feel like slightly warped rotors as well. These are things I have noticed.

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
first, check the sterring head bearings.

Then...check the rotors. I had the same problem. I checked the rotors and found they were only out .002" to .003" - shouldn't have caused a problem.

Then I read an article on change in coefficient of friction within a rotor - so that some parts have high friction areas and some parts have lower friciton areas - that would cause this problem and mine. I got Galfer Wave rotors and never looked back. No problems after that - just great braking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts