Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Did a bunch of searching just now. Mostly just confirmed that a large number of folks are/were having the same issues with clutch going after 300-400 miles. Some had their MC's replaced under warranty.

I typically have to bleed mine every weekend during the summer riding months. No way that much air is getting trapped, it has to be getting introduced.

I couldn't find any threads on KTM parts. I know I came across one somewhere that identified the MC dust seal that was compatible with the MTS. Same part but about half the price from the KTM dealer, versus Ducati.

But... if Brembo isn't releasing rebuild kits anymore I don't know if it would be any easier to find one for KTM.

Anyone know of a parts cross-reference list for KTM and Ducati?
[email protected], To note. KTM's use Mineral oil for the clutch system not DOT 3-4 fluid. Not sure if the seals are compatible with the DOT fluids. Could be a disaster waiting to happen. As most know DOT 3-4 and 5.1 fluids will damage painted surfaces. Both my KTM's used mineral oil for the clutches and DOT 5.1 for the brakes. Not sure if the newer bikes use DOT clutch fluid but doubt it. A bit frustrating that Brembo does not supply rebuild kits for many of their M/C's or caliper/slave cylinders. If you search out a VERY knowlegable Brembo dealer they may be able to substitute a kit for another bike with the same M/C bore size. I have a 11 Multi and don't have clutch trapped air issues. I do however bleed all my clutch and brake systems with a very high vacuum bleeder system.
Good Luck
Cheers

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
[email protected], To note. KTM's use Mineral oil for the clutch system not DOT 3-4 fluid. Not sure if the seals are compatible with the DOT fluids. Could be a disaster waiting to happen. As most know DOT 3-4 and 5.1 fluids will damage painted surfaces. Both my KTM's used mineral oil for the clutches and DOT 5.1 for the brakes. Not sure if the newer bikes use DOT clutch fluid but doubt it. A bit frustrating that Brembo does not supply rebuild kits for many of their M/C's or caliper/slave cylinders. If you search out a VERY knowlegable Brembo dealer they may be able to substitute a kit for another bike with the same M/C bore size. I have a 11 Multi and don't have clutch trapped air issues. I do however bleed all my clutch and brake systems with a very high vacuum bleeder system.
Good Luck
Cheers
Didn't know about the mineral oil. Interesting --and good point!

Ducati had a recall a while back on a Brembo front brake MC. Same size as my clutch (PR16), so I thought I'd give it a try. Even though it was for 16mm Brembo MC's, including MTS 1200, it wouldn't fit. Interestingly, KTM was included in the recall.

Seems like a tricky business finding correct fitting parts. OPP couldn't offer much. I'm going to give Bevel Heaven a try, but I don't know of any other options.

·
Registered
828 Posts
You said you already changed the slave, with what? A new oem could be defective from the start. An after market also. Master appears to be much more reliable than slaves.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just following up on the clutch MC; Bevel Heaven replied quickly and stated the same as OPP:

"Thats a radial pump and not a rebuildable item as Brembo will not sell the parts to do so. They are no longer producing the units either."

I may have to start hoarding used MC's.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Just following up on the clutch MC; Bevel Heaven replied quickly and stated the same as OPP:

"Thats a radial pump and not a rebuildable item as Brembo will not sell the parts to do so. They are no longer producing the units either."

I may have to start hoarding used MC's.

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I ran into this and actually ordered the kit over the winter. It was around $25. I figured since the '13 clutch is also a PR16, this would do the trick. No dice, though. It was just a hair bigger and would not fit into the cylinder.

Thanks for posting this, though!

I ended up getting a used MC off a '14 MTS from ebay. Just installed it yesterday, so we'll see how it goes.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts