Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stupidly tipped over my 900SS because I was too lazy to get a proper stand... Anyways, I got lucky and nothing got broken, but afterwards my front brake behaved as if it had air in it. No big deal, some air bubbles must have migrated into the line when it was on its side. However, after a thorough bleed the bite point is still almost at the bars.

I rebuilt the calipers a couple years ago with new seals, so I figure this may be the master cylinder packing it in. Also, some weird red flakes came out with the old fluid when I bled it...

Can I rebuild the master? It's the CR style with integrated reservoir. Or am I better off buying a new one? Or is this all too much of a coincidence and I should just bleed it again...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
... Also, some weird red flakes came out with the old fluid when I bled it...
... again with the oddball red flakes in the drain fluid .... huh ... someone just posted a thread about "weird red flakes" in the drain oil from the crankcase a few days back. Must be some full moon thing or whatever.

Can I rebuild the master? It's the CR style with integrated reservoir. Or am I better off buying a new one? Or is this all too much of a coincidence and I should just bleed it again...
*** (1) I'd try bleeding again.

*** (2a) If that doesn't work you might try a rebuild kit.

*** (2b) Re; replacing the master, I just bought a new old stock ("NOS") genuine Brembo front brake master for my '96 900CR ... was 129.00 shipped (eBay). It came complete with new lever and bar clamp. Did not come with a new brake light microswitch. Just sayin'. See pic. It's a 13mm but that's because it's for a single disc system. I'd reckon a guess that the dual disc master would be closely priced.

So takes yer choices .... 1, 2a, or 2b.

It may be a good opportunity to replace the brake lines with braided stainless steel units while you're at it.

:wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
did it fall on the brake lever side? I have had bikes fall on the right side, slamming the master real good and blowing it out. I have also had similar symptoms be the result of a slightly bent rotor.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'd check an online parts source and see if the P/N for the two are the same. You could be certain that way. AFAIK, yes, they are the same. STs also. I think early 916/748s too. I'd probably stay away from the OEM rotors as the carriers are steel rather than alloy. I think both my EBC rotors combined weigh less than one of the OEM ones. The only differences being the carrier material (alloy vs steel) and the number of floater buttons 9 (EBC) vs 10 (OEM).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I've confirmed that the monster rotors linked above are in fact the same EBC aftermarket models that I already have, except in a different color. I'm very happy with their performance so far, so I bought them. Also the steel part will be interchangable so I can re-use that part of my existing bent rotor since it is still in good shape

1 - 8 of 8 Posts