Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Rizoma Fluid Resivors a couple of years ago. First time out the front brake locked up about 5 miles from my house. Not an instant lock up but rather a serious decrease in speed until full lock up. Giving me enough time to mostly get of the road. At that time I bled the line on the side of the road and all has been well until I took my bike in to the local dealer (Michaels in Reno) a month ago. On the way home the front brake locked again, fortunately on a back road and not in the fast lane on the freeway. I bled the line a little and made it home.
I checked the resivor and it looked as though the fluid was toped off. I know if the resivor is FULL there will be problems. I called the dealer and described the problem for wich they insisted they did not top the resivor off. I am hoping they did and don't want any liability, otherwise I have other issues. The brake has locked up twice this week and each time I bleed the line a little more.
I am tired of riding with extreme caution and want to enjoy my ride without waiting for the next lockup.

Any suggestions out there or similar experiences?

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket set of levers on?
They may be restricting the fluid return circuit in the master cylinder.
The piston needs to be able to fully return or else it will block that curcuit.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Same thing just happened to my friend after putting on aftermarket levers. There was no free play adjustment on the levers and he only had a tiny amount of freeplay after the install. about 5 miles into the ride the fluid heated up and the front locked up. He spilled doing about 10 mph and luckily was not hurt bad. You MUST have free play in the lever or this will happen.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have an aftermarket set of levers on?
They may be restricting the fluid return circuit in the master cylinder.
The piston needs to be able to fully return or else it will block that curcuit.
Same thing just happened to my friend after putting on aftermarket levers. There was no free play adjustment on the levers and he only had a tiny amount of freeplay after the install. about 5 miles into the ride the fluid heated up and the front locked up. He spilled doing about 10 mph and luckily was not hurt bad. You MUST have free play in the lever or this will happen.
I did add a set of Pazzo levers over a year ago, but that was after the first episode. I never had any problems last summer, but the example of the fluid heating up appears to be dead on.
How do I check the aftermarket levers to see if that is the problem? I love the look and adjustability of the Pazzo levers, but not at the cost of risking an accident.

I thank you all in advance for your input, this is great help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just did a visual inspection of both the Pazzo and stock brake levers on the master cylinders piston. Both of them look to prees equally on the piston at the normal rested position. I could not tell any difference. I did notice that both press the postin about 1/8 of in inch compared to no lever present.
Is that normal play or restricted?
The fluid heating up sounds like the problem. The brakes work great until a brief ride. Im not clear why this did not happen for over a year. I resolved this a couple years ago by reducing the fluid in the resivor to about 3/4 full. I thought that I may have over filled the new Rizoma resivor. The fluid is between 3/4 and full now.:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts