Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of searching the forum and the web unsuccessfully for tips/instructions on how to remove the OE front brake lever to swap out a replacement. Not an upgrade, it was broken in a tipover. So, the short question is a request for a point out to a step-by-step or pics.

The current/initial issue is that I have the pivot pin out, and I gather that you need to remove the bushing/sleeve. But the back of the adjustment screw appears to be attached to the plunger on the master cylinder by a rubber boot. I can't tell how to get that apart, and don't want to eff it up any more.

Tips/instructions appreciated. Headed back into the garage.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the article. I discovered that the "pin" (or plunger, or "push rod" as Brembo refers to it) just pulls out of the dust cover. It appears that I'll need to pull that out of the master cylinder, push it past the groove in the push rod to get that seated, and then re-seat it into the master cylinder. I say this because it's too springy/flimsy to let me push the rod through the hole and get it to seat in the groove. Anybody see that differently?

Back to the garage...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ho-kay. In similar fashion to my last mechanical conundrum, the mere suggestion that the wisdom of the forum was going to come to bear frightened the components into cooperation.

The dust boot pops out and pops back in. I suppose it might be worse if the boot was older and stiff, but this one is essentially new. Popped it out, slipped it over the pin, re-seated it and reinstalled the lever.

FWIW a suggestion I saw elsewhere about driving the bushing out of the old lever with a small socket worked fine. You will have to drive the new one in with a rubber mallet or wooden drift to avoid damaging it. It pushes out from the bottom up, and in from the top down. Brembo supplies a packet of white grease for the various surfaces. The little spring is kinda hateful, but if you get it stuffed, once you're installing the bushing it (the spring) can't escape.

Carry on.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
If you still have the OEM lever plunger/pin and the barrel/bushing, I would be interested in purchasing them from you. Please PM me if these are available.

Ho-kay. In similar fashion to my last mechanical conundrum, the mere suggestion that the wisdom of the forum was going to come to bear frightened the components into cooperation.

The dust boot pops out and pops back in. I suppose it might be worse if the boot was older and stiff, but this one is essentially new. Popped it out, slipped it over the pin, re-seated it and reinstalled the lever.

FWIW a suggestion I saw elsewhere about driving the bushing out of the old lever with a small socket worked fine. You will have to drive the new one in with a rubber mallet or wooden drift to avoid damaging it. It pushes out from the bottom up, and in from the top down. Brembo supplies a packet of white grease for the various surfaces. The little spring is kinda hateful, but if you get it stuffed, once you're installing the bushing it (the spring) can't escape.

Carry on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts