Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else has had issues like these. 2011 MTS1200 ABS...non S-model. About 6500 miles on the clock. Front brake has a bit of grabbiness to it when braking to a stop under ~20 mph. Not only does the braking fluctuate, but a definite resonance, or groan, can be both heard and felt at the lever.

I'm quite accustomed to a squeak or squeal on my other bikes, and that doesn't bother me. This is different. It sounds like an injured walrus.

Brakes are freshly bled. Pads are original factory Brembo HH. Slide pins and pads disassembled and cleaned to no avail. Based on what I hear and feel, I'd expect to see visual cues on the rotor or pads: discoloration on the rotor and/or glazing on the pads. None of that. Visually, there is no indication of an issue.

Looking for your experiences, thoughts, or suggestions. I'm not new to motorcycling, wrenching, or troubleshooting. But this one is new for me and wondering if it's been encountered before.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before I forget: calipers were properly aligned to minimize drag. Next step was to push the pistons out a bit and clean...

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Do a search on warped rotors and/or hot spots and you'll find you are not alone. That's what it sounds like. I had the same thing happen and the dealer refused to replace the cheap OEM rotors. When I put on aftermarket rotors, the problem magically went away. This is becoming more and more common to all motorcycle brands. I swear they are slapping rotors on bikes these days made out of recycled aluminum foil. It's pathetic.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Based on what I hear and feel, I'd expect to see visual cues on the rotor or pads: discoloration on the rotor and/or glazing on the pads. None of that. Visually, there is no indication of an issue.
Ditto. Even though it felt like I was riding a kid's Rocking Horse as I came to a stop.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bloody hell. You know what doesn't do this? My 2017 FZ-10 with twice the mileage! Funny, when I changed the tires last week, I remember looking at the rotors thinking "damn, those carriers and buttons LOOK cheap". Maybe looks were right.

Unfortunately, this isn't something I'm willing to live with. Maybe I'll have to pick up a set of wave rotors.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Bloody hell. You know what doesn't do this? My 2017 FZ-10 with twice the mileage! Funny, when I changed the tires last week, I remember looking at the rotors thinking "damn, those carriers and buttons LOOK cheap". Maybe looks were right.

Unfortunately, this isn't something I'm willing to live with. Maybe I'll have to pick up a set of wave rotors.
Check your pads for glazing. Do the same for your rotors. You'd be surprised at what cleaning those up can do for your braking performance.

It's of note that Ducati didn't spec the 2010-14 MTS 1200 with great breaks. It's a bigger bike and they didn't give us great brakes.

Some have had great success with new pads. Others have had swapped in new rotors with better pads.

Me, I bit the bullet and swapped over to monoblock M4 calipers. The '15+ MTS comes with M50 calipers now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check your pads for glazing. Do the same for your rotors. You'd be surprised at what cleaning those up can do for your braking performance.

It's of note that Ducati didn't spec the 2010-14 MTS 1200 with great breaks. It's a bigger bike and they didn't give us great brakes.

Some have had great success with new pads. Others have had swapped in new rotors with better pads.

Me, I bit the bullet and swapped over to monoblock M4 calipers. The '15+ MTS comes with M50 calipers now.
I didn't have time to pull the rotors last night to do a thorough clean/sand. But...they didn't look glazed at all. Pretty normal looking to my eyes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
835 Posts
The problem (my bike also pulses under light braking coming to a stop) is cheep shit rotors (discs) they are machine to a tolerance that just makes the grade, so the high spots get more heat, and i hear the metal ends with a different structure, and thats where the light braking pulse comes from, and brake material either built up, or just grabs at differing levels on the disc. i sand my discs with wet-dry (300 grit) every time i change my tires, this helps for a 1000Ks or more, but it always returns............shit discs, budget made discs.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I didn't have time to pull the rotors last night to do a thorough clean/sand. But...they didn't look glazed at all. Pretty normal looking to my eyes.

Your rotors maybe look fine, but your pads may not be good. Worth a check.

Or, go find a big, long area and get some threshold braking done and burn off whatever it is that's on your rotors and pads.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your rotors maybe look fine, but your pads may not be good. Worth a check.

Or, go find a big, long area and get some threshold braking done and burn off whatever it is that's on your rotors and pads.
I suspect that is what caused this. It got worse after doing some hard braking checks last week.

Just checked the buttons. All spin freely, with minimal resistance.

Spinning the front wheel on the bike and there is a definite audible dragging sound every so many degrees.

Pads aren't glassed. No discoloration or other abnormalities. They look new.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I suspect that is what caused this. It got worse after doing some hard braking checks last week.

Just checked the buttons. All spin freely, with minimal resistance.

Spinning the front wheel on the bike and there is a definite audible dragging sound every so many degrees.

Pads aren't glassed. No discoloration or other abnormalities. They look new.

If there's audible dragging then there's material build up on the rotors, even if you can't see it. Either have it fixed under warranty, pull the rotors and sand them, or pull the rotors have them media blasted.

FWIW, my Hyper gets build up rather quickly when I ride it in the city or if I'm not using the brakes hard.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Checked the buttons last Friday and found nothing stuck or otherwise out of order. Hoping to clean up the calipers tonight or tomorrow night. May also try sanding down the rotors, though to be honest, I'm not sure when I'll find time to do that.

Still honking.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've complained about the brakes on my 2015 MTS since new. My dealer says it's the buttons that are the problem. I'm not so sure. Others have reported that just changing pads to aftermarket solved the problem. I tend to believe that theory but have no evidence to prove it. I've already switched to top-line brembo M/C and have Braketech Axis full-floating rotors and Ferodo pads coming. Rotors are back-ordered though. Then, I will be really happy with my bike and will only need to add tires from here on out I hope-

·
Registered
987 Posts
I had this issue on my '12 ABS as well, worse 2 up as well. I put Braking wave rotors, M50 calipers and the OEM Brembo pads off and 1199 and it's a new bike in the braking department. New rotors saved around .25-.5 pounds and calipers about the same as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts