Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
I have a 2014 899, bought it second hand 2 years ago and other than a fork seal replacement I have no issues.
I have done about 25,000 kilometers and just love this bike.
I noticed about 2 weeks ago that when I pull the front brake lever, it feels sluggish, at the second pull it feels like it used to.
I replaced the brake fluid and did the bleeding on both sides plus the master cylinder (twice) still the same.
Has anyone got an idea about what the cause is for this?
thanks for the advice in advance
Rene

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Has anyone got an idea about what the cause is for this?
thanks for the advice in advance
Rene
Tie-wrap the lever to the handlebar overnight.

I do that on both my track bikes before a race weekend.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Tie-wrap the lever to the handlebar overnight.

I do that on both my track bikes before a race weekend.
Oleary, just out of curiosity on this post, do you mean tie it compressed, like brake engaged tight back to the handlebars? What does that actually do over night?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Oleary, just out of curiosity on this post, do you mean tie it compressed, like brake engaged tight back to the handlebars? What does that actually do over night?
Pump the lever a couple of times, then pull it back to the grip and tie-wrap it tight.

Lemme know what you find tomorrow morning.

FYI, this is an old racer trick. :wink2:

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Your brake lever should not be able to touch the grip. If it can , you have air in the system or a leak.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pump the lever a couple of times, then pull it back to the grip and tie-wrap it tight.

Lemme know what you find tomorrow morning.

FYI, this is an old racer trick. :wink2:
did the tie-wrap and it is a bit better, the lever still moves much closer to the grip at the first pull
thanks mate

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,391 Posts
It forces air into suspension in the fluid and brings some of it back to the reservoir when the lever is released.
I think the op needs to bleed the master cylinder or just reverse bleed the brakes from the bottom up with a syringe and short piece of clear plastic tubing to get the air out.
Either that or his master cylinder main seal is done.

Reactions: oleary

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
it has abs? abs makes the reverse bleed pretty much redundant unfortunately. you could try pushing the caliper pistons back. even pull the calipers off, pump the pistons out until the pads touch and then push them back. that can help get the air back through the system. do that then the lever zip tie.

pump a heap of fluid through the system might help. don't vac bleed with the abs, just pump it through.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
ABS is the common denominator. Try activating the ABS to rid itself of any air lock. Put it in wet mode and give it a boo.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
It forces air into suspension in the fluid and brings some of it back to the reservoir when the lever is released.
I think the op needs to bleed the master cylinder or just reverse bleed the brakes from the bottom up with a syringe and short piece of clear plastic tubing to get the air out.
Either that or his master cylinder main seal is done.
What davy.j said. :smile2:

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,391 Posts
The other possibility is the ABS valve seal is leaking slightly.
If ABS isn't activated regularly the valve can get sticky and next time it activated can stay slightly open and give the same symptoms as a master cylinder with a bypassing main seal.
Had the same issue on a Jeep, replaced the master cylinder to no avail...
Flushed the whole system a few times, gave the ABS a good workout (on wet grass) and the problem went away as the valve gradually freed up.

davy

·
Registered
505 Posts
This is an interesting issue - my 899 does the same thing, and it's almost universally mentioned at the 899 Panigale forum. It's not that it doesn't work, it's just the initial pull is a bit soft. I like the idea of reverse bleeding from calipers up, I'll try that this winter, as my riding season is pretty much over.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
EVERY abs fitted bike I’ve ridden has what I feel is a “soft” lever. Some worse then others. I think it’s the nature of the beast. Don’t like them. Will never have one on a bike that I own, even if I have to remove the system from the bike.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
depends how an abs system is bled too. we had to do a recall on r1200gs steel lines that required bleeding afterwards and they never the same. owners would come in who'd had it done at the other dealer in town calling them idiots, but we'd say "we probably can't make it any better". i'm sure the other dealer got the same. i think bmw evacuation bled them, which would certainly help.

you can force fluid back through the system from the caliper bleeders with a big syringe and crack the abs line unions under pressure, but they're usually still soft.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 899 was the same way all its life. Second pull always feels the best. :shrug: I chalked it up to ABS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts