Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I guess I’m just looking for a shoulder to cry on here...I was riding at about 25 mph a few days ago and went over the smallest road variation ever, but enough to jar the motorcycle slightly. Well, I heard a noise and the front brakes stopped working. I was about a mile away from my destination so I just rode there and when I got off I saw the hose has snapped and there was brake fluid all over the front of the bike. It never occurred to me that this could happen. I don’t remember exactly what it looked like before...maybe a clip under the fender had come loose and the hose somehow caught the tire? I dunno. IMG_5900.jpg IMG_5901.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeesh. Glad it happened at a low speed. As for the cause, I've heard of rocks hitting them and cutting them, but since it's right at where it meets the fitting it could be a defective line if it's new, or just worn if it's an older bike.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I’m glad it was low speed too! I should probably focus on being thankful that it didn’t happen in the middle of a quick stop situation. I’ve had the bike about a year and half. It’s a ‘17 that I purchased new. A little under 10,000 miles on it. Don’t remember exactly.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Appears to be a defective line, considering it’s such a new bike. You are so amazingly lucky that it failed in a situation where you could recover control. It was your lucky day. You should have bought a lotto ticket.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That sucks. Brake fluid is highly corrosive to paint and finishes. Hope you got it cleaned off rather quickly. If it soaks into the brake pads it can saturate and ruin those too.
:frown2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry for the delay! I spoke with the dealer (Coleman Powersports in Woodbridge, VA) and they were not very helpful. I believe they said something like “Well, YOU hit something so you never know what’s going to happen when you do that!” They are about 2 hours away so I opted to have it fixed locally instead (Richmond Superbike). Just an hour labor plus the brake line. I may reach out to Ducati directly just for a discussion. I guess I’m traumatized because last night I had a dream that I lost both brakes and had to stop with my feet. lol

No apparent paint damage. And who knows about sabotage? I doubt it but I don’t have camera surveillance on the bike so I couldn’t prove anything either way.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
My first running bike was a Vespa with no brakes. I learned to plan ahead and wear thick boots.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
I don’t recall you mentioning that you hit something. What made the dealer think that you did ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank god I wasn’t wearing my riding flip flops.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I think I said something like “road variation”. I went back over the road and I think it was a man hole cover with about a one inch drop.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
If you can’t make a reliable product you should at least stand behind the product you make. Ducati dealers have yet to learn this. It’s no wonder they can’t seem to stay in business. I’m glad you named the dealer. Hopefully any one in their area will steer clear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The caliper hose shouldn’t overextend should it? Wouldn’t it just move up and down with the front tire and lower forks? Maybe it somehow got caught on the tire? I don’t remember exactly what it looks like from the factory. Is there anything between it and the tire?

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Maybe when the fork seals were changed the hose were not routed properly, looking at a 2012 in the shop there should be no way something grabbed it if they were routed properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts