Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just before I put my front wheel back on, after having the tire replaced, my wife came out to the garage for a visit. Playing around with the controls she squeezed the front brake, closing the pistons on both calibers. I was able to carefully pry the left side open just enough to get the disc through, but when doing the same to the right side, I pressed in one set a little too far, forceing out the other to a point where fluid started to seep from behind the piston. I hope I didn't cause any damage. I equaled up the pistons, cleaned up the fluid and put the wheel back on. After aligning and torqueing everything to spec, I squeezed the front brake a few times. The first squeeze was a little soft, probably due to the tiny bit of fluid lose, or the pistons settling to the disc, but after that they seemed to be fine. I squeezed it a few more times and I don't see anymore fluid leaking. But I haven't ridden it yet. So my question is did I cause any damage to the caliber? Is there a seal behind the pistons that should be replaced? I would hate to go for a ride and have brake fluid leak everywhere.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The first squeeze after re-installing is always a bit soft as the pistons/pads settle to the disc. Usually it firms up after a couple of squeezes.

If you leave it a while, then squeeze again and it's soft again on the first squeeze, then you probably have some air in the system. Bleed it out.

There is a seal on each piston but I wouldn't think something like that would damage it. You could try tying your lever to the handlebar to pressurise the system overnight, then see if there's a leak in the morning. If so, then you may need to rebuild the caliper with new seals.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Agreed with the above comments. With older calipers I'll often push them in and out a few times to lube and loosen them up; no damage is caused.

That was nice of your wife to visit; too bad human nature took over and she had to start touching things.. haha

·
Registered
406 Posts
By pushing in the calipers you may have cleared bubbles from the ABS circuit - good time to do a bleed or ziptie the brake lever (firmly but not crazy) for a few hours, to get those bubbles out of the system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts